Claude stopped in his tracks. It was strange for him to show care for a girl who might not even be his own daughter. A bit shaken by her words Claude stood still as Athelinda walked towards her Palace.

-----

The sun had awoke the empire with its golden rays. Athelinda too had awoken from the light. She took a bath, got dressed and headed to the library like how she normally would.

The assassins last night left immediately when Athelinda entered the Palace, since she wasn't their target. As for Cassandra, the necklace Athelinda gave her was still working and so she got teleported to a safer area within the Palace's vicinity. 

Duke Alpheus.

A man who had proved himself to be dangerous. After all, the assassins he sent could enter the Palace grounds so easily.

As Athelinda made her way to the library, she met Felix carrying Athanasia on her way. 

"Morning Lin! Are you going to the library?"

"Your highness." Felix greeted.

"Good morning Athy , Felix. And yes, the library it is."  Athelinda replied.

"Lin, why don't we go to papa together !? "

"uh...-"

"Your Highness, His Majesty asked princess Athanasia to visit him in the Audience Chambers. If you come along I'm sure he'll be delighted."

"Since he didn't ask for me, I feel it would be rude to go uninvited."

"Athy is inviting sister to come!"  Athanasia said, she desperately wanted someone to be with her when she was facing Claude. And Athelinda seemed to be quite supportive whenever they went together.

"Your highnesses , this is a secret but His Majesty really adores the two of you. He doesn't show it, but he worries about you both." Felix stated.

Athanasia seemed unconvinced, while Athelinda went into a deep thought over it.

Athelinda ended up tagging along with them to the Audience chambers, after Athanasia's insistence. Felix was now carrying both royal sisters on each arm.

"Sir Felix." A whitette came out of the audience room.

"Sir Roger, It's been a while."

Roger ? That Roger?

Athelinda observed the man with a judgemental gaze, much like his own as he viewed the princesses in Felix's arms.

"Roger Alpheus, at your service, prosperity be upon the Obelian Empire." The Duke greeted as he bowed his head.

"Hello Mister White!" Athanasia greeted him.

Athelinda didn't bother greeting him. She observed him. White hair , golden eyes. He reminded her of a snake she saw in a book.

A Snake. Yes, how fitting for a man who was currently smiling and acting all gentle. As if he didn't try to kill the princess at all.

Furthermore he has been keeping a princess in hiding.

Should I tell the emperor about it?

She observed the man being teased by Athanasia.

No, he might be useful...He is a Duke. And one of the most influential households. Although the Robane Dukedom is more trusted. If Alpheus is a Snake, then Robane are Wolves.

"Ahem, Well then , Shall we?" Felix asked the princesses. 

Athelinda eescaped her train of thoughts and noticed them finally entering the Audience Room.

"Bye, Mister White!" Athanasia exclaimed. 

"Felix, wait! I think I'll head to the library! " Athelinda abruptly declared and squirmed herself out of his hold.

"But, your highness, are you sure? His majesty would be delighted by your presence."

"I'll visit him some other time."

She stood on the marble floor and waved bye to Athanasia as she went inside.

Duke Alpheus stood some distance behind Athelinda and upon the door closing, the two met each others eyes.

"I believe there is something you would like to say to me, Your Highness." The Duke began as he stepped towards her.

"Not here. Follow me." Athelinda spoke as she began walking back to Jade Palace.

◇◇◇
Vote and Comment!