Chapter XIII : Salvador

Start from the beginning

Of course, the young man expected a reaction but he had never seen his father with such a red face and distorted with annoyance.

— I know, Padre, I'm aware of it and very unhappy. I don't know how to apologize for causing you so much trouble. I beg your indulgence and desperately need your advice.

— Bring this girl discreetly to the estate tomorrow and you will take her to the hunting lodge. I'll meet you there and the three of us will advise. Don't tell your mother or brother about it until nothing is decided. It's understood?

— Yes, I will do as you wish.

This last word rekindled Rodrigo's restrained anger. Her children had been warned sufficiently against this kind of behavior. He had always taught them that their rank imposed an irreproachable attitude on them. He so wanted them to show themselves responsible and worthy to succeed him.

— My desires! Do you know at least what I want for you my children? Not that, anyway. I would have preferred that you worry about my desires before impregnating this young girl! Now get out of this office and let me think again.

The next day, in the hunting lodge we heard crying and screaming for an hour.

Rodrigo seemed to have calmed down. He was with Soledad and Salvador and, wishing to know their mutual intentions, he first questioned Soledad.

She assured her that she loved Salvador and that she would happily marry him, but that whatever happened, the child was welcome and that she would keep him even if she had to raise him on her own.

Salvador had abandoned his tendencies as a womanizer. At the height of his twenties, he was ready for marriage and fatherhood, which Rodrigo had envisioned as the best solution.

Soledad seemed to have her head on her shoulders and it was obvious that she loved Salvador dearly. All that remained was to announce it to the rest of the family, and it was obviously the most difficult task.

For her part, and since Salvador's announcement about Soledad's pregnancy, Elvira was still going strong. She knew, of course, that marriage was the only solution that would keep the family from shame, but still, what a mistake!

Salvador was the youngest which, fortunately, would preserve their possessions by not handing them over to a unknown in-laws. The domain would therefore not risk being sold or divided up.

Soledad's family had not yet been introduced to the Almondara. Their consent would be necessary for this marriage since Soledad was only seventeen, but, according to Salvador, there would be no problem in obtaining it. Marrying an Almondara was considered an honor for families who were not part of the aristocracy. To refuse would have been an affront to Elvira but she almost preferred it.

Soledad was three months pregnant and it was not visible yet. They could thus celebrate the marriage without revealing anything of its state. A premature birth could be the reason given to explain a birth very close to the date of the marriage.

The meeting of the two families took place at Soledad's. The young girl's father had wanted to show their living environment which, without being luxurious, was pretty. They were part of the lower middle class and lived in a nice house near Cuevas-Blancas and very close to their workplace.

They lived well, thanks to the recipes of the inn "Paso de los Señores"[1] which they exploited as a family. Soledad was their only daughter. She worked as a waitress in the family inn.

Elvira did not open her mouth during the entire meeting and, to avoid being unpleasant, Rodrigo answered questions for him instead. During the fateful question concerning the dowry of the young girl, Rodrigo was surprised to hear that Soledad had received several plots of cultivable land which were for the moment leased to sheep farmers. This information, which Elvira was not expecting, imperceptibly altered the pout she had been making since the start of the interview. Only Rodrigo was aware of it and he felt the surrounding atmosphere grow lighter.