Kiriwo's True Ambition

Start from the beginning

"NO!"

I slowly poke my head inside and find Ameri arguing with Veldora.

"Um...am I interrupting something?" I ask hesitantly, not wanting to get involved in their quarrel.

"Oh, Iruma! What are you doing here?" Ameri asks.

"I need to ask you about something...but, why are you here Veldora? I'm pretty sure Rimuru wanted you to stay back at the mansion." I say, knowing that Rimuru wouldn't want Veldora wandering around Babyls without supervision. He's probably taking advantage of the fact that she's not around right now.

"I...um...I ran out of manga again...and Rimuru is busy and won't respond...so I thought this girl would let me borrow hers, maybe?... Please don't tell Rimuru!" he pleads.

"I don't have any way to tattle on you even if I wanted to. You should still head back though, Ameri isn't going to budge on this. If you keep bothering her, I will tell Rimuru when they get back!" I say, trying to imitate how I've seen Rimuru deal with him.

Veldora starts to sulk.

"You guys are no fun...I just wanted to read some manga..." he whines as he leaves the room.

After an awkward pause, I ask.

"Um...Ameri?"

"Yes?"

"I hate to ask you this...especially after what just happened...but could I borrow volume 8 of 'First Love Memories'?" I ask reluctantly.

"Absolutely not!" she yells firmly.

"Could you consider it...please?" I say, cringing a little at her fervent refusal.

"No way! These are vital forbidden texts I received from my father! I can't go lending them out!" she explains, sounding irritated by my pleading.

I guess she isn't gonna let me borrow it...I'll have to manage without it, I guess...

"Right, I understand...I shouldn't have asked you, sorry." I apologize. "I guess we'll have to make fireworks with no example, even if it's harder," I say, half to myself.

Ameri's stern expression suddenly changes to a softer one.

"Wait! Make what now?! Fireworks? The night-blooming sky-flowers?!" she asks eagerly.

"Yeah, that's right. I want to make some to set off at the battler party." I explain.

Ameri's eyes sparkle with excitement.

"Goodness, look how late it's getting. I am exhausted! I'm so tired that I might forget that I left this book right here on this table accidentally. Whoops! But, if I did, I guess I could come to get it tomorrow evening!" Ameri says in an exaggerated tone.

After a moment's hesitation, I quickly realize what she's trying to do.

"Thank you so much, Ameri!"

"No! I told you that I was just going to accidentally forget!" Ameri says, sounding flustered.

"But still, thanks for doing this!" I thank her again.

I wrap the book with some paper I found lying around so the cover stays hidden and rush back to my battler's room.

"So that's what they look like!" Kiriwo exclaims.

"They're super pretty! And nothing like I was picturing!" Clara says.

"I've never seen a book like this, how curious...so where did you find it?" Azz asks, looking at the manga with interest.

"Um...that's a secret," I reply nervously, knowing that I can't reveal where I got this book at all costs. Ameri would probably kill me if word got out!