"Pardon?" I croaked, grabbing for a napkin. There was a knowing glint in Charlie's eyes as he took a sip of his hot chocolate and he wasn't doing a very good job at hiding his grin.

"I thought that might be the case," He said, setting his mug down on the table. "Adrien's really not one to have many friends."

I decided that I was neither going to confirm or deny that statement about my having a crush on Adrien— because I obviously felt something for him... I just didn't know what that was yet. And besides, the perfect opportunity to ask him questions about Adrien had just presented itself and I wasn't about to pass that up. It was probably the only chance I'd get to really learn anything about Adrien, since he clearly wasn't going to tell me anything.

"What's his deal?" I demanded before I could stop myself. It was safe to say Charlie looked surprised that I'd asked him that.

He sighed, taking a sip of his drink, before he answered. "There are things in Adrien's life that he shouldn't have to deal with," He said in a quiet voice.

I think he was just as pained about the things that had happened to his nephew as Adrien was.

"It's... Gabriel has had a search party out for Emilie for eight years, which seems impossible, but he payed his way through it. He finally called it off here recently and it was like... we lost her all over again. And I mean, when he's not over here, he raises and takes care of himself."

I kept my head down, my gaze directed towards my clasped hands on the table. I was getting the feeling that Charlie didn't often talk about the things that had gone on in their lives and I wasn't about to interrupt him. But had Gabriel really made the choice to call off Emilie's search?

"I'm sorry," I muttered, gripping my mug tightly. "I shouldn't have... asked about it."

"Oh, it's all right," Charlie said airily, trying to keep bravado in his voice. "I know Adrien would have never told you that himself."

No kidding.

"But, Marinette...." I gave Charlie a curious look over the rim of my mug. "Why are you... trying to get to know him?" He seemed flustered, at a loss for words, as he spoke. "He's not exactly the most easy-going person around. It can't be pleasant."

And this was where it was going to get difficult. "I don't know, Charlie..." I trailed off, biting my lip. "It's just that... he seems so alone all of the time. I wouldn't wish loneliness on anybody. No matter how rude they are."

Charlie smiled a little, sipping at his drink. "I suppose you could put it that way..." He mumbled underneath his breath as his voice trailed off.

I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off, "I hope you know that from now on, you're welcome here any time you'd like." He said, setting his mug down on the table.

I couldn't help but grin as I glanced up at him. "Thank you. I'll probably take you up on that, since it's Christmas break and all."

"I'm sure Adrien will appreciate that," Charlie chuckled, leaning forward on the table with his elbows.

I scowled. "I'm sure."

"Look, Marinette, don't give up on Adrien. He's a good guy. He just needs a little... prodding, I suppose you could say."

Okay, so I hadn't expected Charlie to say that at all. If anything, I thought he was going to tell me to just give up and go home and forget that I'd ever even met Adrien before. But it was a nice change, hearing that maybe, just maybe, I actually had a chance with him.

Charlie and I chatted a little while longer about how school was going for me and what I wanted to do after I graduated. But after a while Charlie insisted that I watch tv while he did the dishes, so I did just that.