Chapter 11

It was Christmas eve eve. Aka the day before Christmas eve. I was happy to get a call from Charlene this morning, asking if I would help grocery shop for tomorrow's dinner. Which I gladly accepted.

By the time I was welcomed inside of Linda's home I was more than happy to take in the comforting, familiar scent.

"Hi, Marinette!" A reluctant grin broke out across my face as Kai came sprinting over to me with a ridiculously huge smile on his face before he threw his arms around my me in a tight hug.

Granted, he barely came up to my waist, but it was the thought that counted, right?

"Hey, Kai," I said with a laugh. "What's up?"

"Marinette!"

Kai didn't get a chance to answer, as his brother came running over to throw his arms around me in an even bigger hug. I nearly stumbled over backwards from the force of their hugs, but I couldn't help but break out into loud laughter.

"All right, boys," Eve, Charlie's wife, cut in over our loud giggling. "Let Marinette go."

"But... but we never see her anymore." Shane sniffed, burying his face in my jacket.

"You just saw me last weekend" I said, grinning.

"Still!" The boys cried in near perfect unison.

"Boys!" Eve repeated, much louder this time. "Marinette is about to be very busy."

The boys didn't listen, of course. So I had to struggle my way into the kitchen with two little boys attached to my legs.

"I'm sorry," Eve apologized as I awkwardly trudged into the kitchen. "They're six and eight. They're kind of hard to control."

"That's okay," I reassured her with a smile. "I don't mind."

I didn't have any siblings, so I didn't mind being doted upon by a eight and six year old.

Somehow I managed to yank off my jacket and hang up my bag on the coatrack, and limped over to the what was called the "glove tub" to throw my gloves into. Kai and Shane were pretty adamant about not letting go of me, and needless to say, it was a little hard to manuever around the kitchen.

"Malakai, Shane! What in the world are you doing?" I whipped around, well, as much as I could and saw Adrien sauntering through the kitchen, his hair damp and curling, looking as if he'd just gotten out of the shower.

He looked gorgeous.

"Just... cuddling with Marinette!" Kai chirped, his voice muffled by my pant leg.

Adrien raised an eyebrow, his face expressionless. "Uh, okay, not anymore you're not. Get off her."

For some reason, Kai and Shane listened to Adrien more than their own mother. I wasn't sure why, but it was rather interesting.

"Fine..." Kai pouted, all but throwing himself down onto the floor.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic, Malakai," Adrien said, reaching down to ruffle Kai's hair as he passed him. "We're all going grocery shopping later, so don't get all whiney now."

I just nodded and leaned back against the counter.

Linda stood in front of us with her glasses she had attached to a necklace perched easily on the end of her nose, several pieces of paper clutched in her grasp. I stood awkwardly beside Adrien, my hands clasped behind my back, biting my lip. Even Adrien looked uneasy.