Wattpad Original
There are 35 more free parts

ring

noun ~ a small circular band, typically a precious metal with one or more gemstones, worn on a finger as a token of authority, fashion or engagement

The room around me shifted and I was blinded by the light as I fell into another world. I gasped for breath, the cold air chilling my bones. I pulled my coat tighter around me, thankful that in this vision, I wore the same clothes in real life.

I knew it was a vision, something drew me to the ring and I should've seen it coming.

Looking around, my breath fogged up the air in front of me as my eyes wandered the trail of a dirt road. I was stood in a forest clearing, in a small garden perhaps, flower beds appearing every so often. Snow was falling from the sky and I shuddered, turning around. My breath caught in my throat as I became face to face with a magnificent building. A soft grey, it was two stories tall with two large windows to the front and a wide wooden door between them.

I looked around nervously, waiting for signs of life but nothing appeared. Swallowing, I decided that being inside the house was better than being stuck out here in the cold. I jogged up to the house, my arms wrapped tightly around me. I climbed the three front steps and debated knocking, my hand hanging in front of me in silence. It was a vision, they wouldn't see nor hear me, right?

I eyed the glinting emerald as though it would help. It was somehow duller than when I first put it on.

Only one way to find out.

I opened the door, hand gripping the freezing handle as I made my way inside. It was warmer, a large hallway with dimmed wall lights. The ground was tiled, a long rug leading down the hall and up some wooden stairs. The door closed softly behind me and I stepped further into the room, looking around waiting for this vision to make sense.

I passed a sitting room that had chairs sat around a fireplace, a fur rug on the ground. The next room was a similar layout, although instead of a fire, a wide backed television sat on a wooden table, a large antenna on the wall. Diving further into the house, I found a beautiful cream kitchen, complete with thick wooden countertops and a retro fridge freezer. I stepped closer, running my hand along the counter, but when my eyes fell to a familiar feature, I felt my breathing slow.

A cream aga sat between two cupboards, clean and currently running by the faint noise I could hear from inside of it. I felt the heat from it, warming my skin from a few feet away. My head cocked as I studied it, correct in assuming it was the same as the one in the burnt down house.

I was here.

In the past.

My family home.

The wide backed television had me thinking that it wasn't too long ago either.

Suddenly, the house brightened as the lights burned brighter and I jumped, startled. The kitchen was the same, only bathed in light. I looked over my shoulder when fast footsteps echoed through the hallway. Knowing I was safe in a vision, I made my way to the door frame and peered around it. I heard a loud sigh and looked the opposite way, my eyes widening at the woman I have only seen the night of her death.

My mother walked down the hallway and stopped not far from me, shaking her head. She seemed tired as she stood, her hands on her hips, her blonde hair wild and escaping the hair clip at the back of her head. She wore a plain white t-shirt with blue baggy jeans with a cream knitted cardigan that hung down to her elbows from her shoulders. She shrugged it up higher and that was when I noticed the extremely uncomfortable-looking baby bump peeking out from her cardigan.

She glanced to the right, before quickly looking back down the hall. I watched her eagerly, taking in as much of this vision as I could. She sighed, wrapping her arms around her elbows before making her way to the room she was eyeing. I followed behind closely, wishing to reach out to her and finally meet my mother. But as the door began to shut behind her to hang halfway, I knew it would never happen.