Chapter 55: The Interlude

The crack of lightning snapped Link's eyes open. He bolted up, allowing the old blanket that covered his body to fall from his torso. He brought a hand to his chest, brushing his fingers along the old fabric that he currently wore. He looked down to see an old Hylian Tunic, burgundy in color, however, dirty enough to be brown. He looked around, noticing the small, dark room he found himself resting in. The only source of light available to him was the arch-shaped opening that allowed a little amount of moonlight to enter. The sound of rain thumped upon the roof of the structure, which after a moment of sitting he could tell was stone. He took a closer look at the entrance, taking a second to rub the tired out of his eyes before noticing a figure sitting in its archway.

"Zelda?" he called out. The girl jolted in surprise before turning around, her green eyes seemingly glowing in the dark.

"Link! Are you okay?" she asked as Link stood, walking over before sitting next to her.

"I... think?" he said, returning to rubbing his eyes. He shook his head before looking out into the heavy rains, where lightning struck in the distance and the leaves billowed in the winds. "Where are we?"

"In a shrine on the western borders of Hyrule Field," Zelda said, checking the Sheikah Slate to ensure she was correct. "You've been sleepy ever since you completed the trial in Rito Village. Once the rain hit, instead of going to a stable you suggested we camp here. Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah... yeah..." Link said, now rubbing the bridge of his nose. "It just... it feels like I've been somewhere else for the last few days."

"Well, we hadn't left Rito Village too long ago," Zelda said, placing the Sheikah Slate in her lap as she continued to watch the rainfall. "We were supposed to head directly for Death Mountain, but you've been so out of it that I insisted we walk so you can take a break from these trials. I also told you I'd keep watch tonight, and even though you still insisted, you finally gave in after I said I would keep this close."

She reached over to her side, picking up the ancient purple sword that rested peacefully in its sheath to show Link before placing it back on the ground next to her.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay? You've been muttering in your sleep, you know," she continued after placing the sword down. Link furrowed his eyes as he looked at her.

"What have I been saying?" he asked curiously. Zelda shrugged as she continued to focus on the rain.

"Something about a girl named... Aryll? My father... me..." she said.

"I think... that's my sister's name," Link said after a few moments of silence. Zelda's neck almost popped as she looked at him with wide eyes.

"Your sister's name?" she asked. "I knew you had a sister, but you never really talked about your personal life with me! That's such a pretty name!"

"Thanks..." Link said quietly, frowning as he looked out into the storm. After seeing his expression, Zelda's features fell.

"Wait... does this mean you're getting your memories back?" she asked. "Even without being in a trial?"

"I'm not sure," Link said with a sigh. "Honestly, I can't remember much. You know how it is waking up from a dream."

"Yes, I suppose," she answered. She couldn't help but wonder if his recent tiredness was from the monk's influence. "Still..."

"Yeah..." Link said, knowing what she was going to say. "It does make me wonder... what happened to her and my father during the Calamity."

Zelda felt her heartbreak. Day after day, Link was having so many painful memories shoved back into his mind. She watched as he stared emotionlessly into the rain before lifting her arms, taking his head, and pulling on it gently. Surprised, Link soon found himself resting his head in Zelda's lap as she began to stroke his bangs as she had done before.

"Z-Zelda-" Link began, feeling his face begin to burn; however, the girl simply shushed him.

"Let me do this for you," she said sweetly. "I can see the bags under your eyes. You're fighting not to sleep. It hurts me to say, but you are going to fall back asleep. Even if I can't prevent it, or take the dreams away, I can at least give you comfort as you rest."

"Zelda..." Link whispered, attempting to raise his head. Despite his best effort, he couldn't budge as his inner desires gave into resting upon the girl's soft, warm thighs, especially when in comparison to the rock-hard ground he had been laying on. It wasn't long before Zelda heard the now familiar rhythmic breathing that came from his rising and falling chest. She looked down to see a peaceful sleeping face, his mouth slightly parted as strands of hair fell slightly out of place. She smiled, continuing to play with his hair as she looked out into the rain.

"I'm assuming you have a part to play in this trial of his, or at least you have something to do with it," Zelda said to the sword lying at her side, without taking her eyes off the storm. "I hope this is for his benefit. I know you've been by his side for so long, and countless other heroes as well. I'm putting my faith into you."

The sword gave a very faint sound in response. Zelda took a deep breath, refusing to look down at the sword as she stared out into the distance, continuing to comfort her loved one in her lap.

................................................

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you guys like this new idea I'm trying out, doing a memory instead of another travel sequence. We're about half way through this prequel memory.

Do we like this? Do we enjoy this? Let me know your thoughts!

Kenny Boi

Couple of the Wild (ZeLink)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें