Chapter 4: A Princess No Longer

An endless torrent of rain fell from the darkened clouds above the fields of Hyrule, feeding the trees, grass, and flowers that grew from the soil on which the princess sat. Protected from the moisture herself, having planted herself under a canopy of branches and leaves as she rested her back against a large boulder the tree had grown beside, she watched as the dark clouds floated above them. While her eyes seemed focused on the rain itself, her mind was actually elsewhere. Guilt filled her mind, for only a day prior, she had once again proven worthless in one of the three sacred springs of Hyrule. The rain was a hindrance to their journey; to the princess, that was a good thing—a blessing in fact. She could prolong having to feel the weighted stare of her father's disappointed eyes, avoid those in the castle with their poorly hidden, judgemental stares, and most of all, she could spend more time with him.

Her eyes traveled from the rain down to the knight that accompanied her. While she sat safely under the tree, the knight—with his sheath off and leaning against the tree trunk next to the princess—stood in the rain, swinging around his long, mythical sword in practice. She watched as he twirled in the rain, droplets of water flying from his wet blue tunic and off the ends of his hair. His gaze was focused as he faced off against whatever invisible foe he imagined in front of him. She admired his determination, and truth be told, it was that very same determination that kept her even slightly motivated to keep praying at the springs, though even a quality as powerful as his couldn't keep that strong forever. Still, it was wonderful to see him gracefully dance with his blade, yet the idea that he was focusing on it more than her bothered her slightly...

She blinked. Even for her, that was a surprising thought. Had she really become that possessive over him, so much that even his sword was a rival for his attention?

While she blushed at her silliness, in the end, it was that very same silliness that won the moment she opened her mouth to speak.

"Link, you'll catch a cold, practicing in the rain like that," she called out to him. "Are you sure you shouldn't take shelter like I have?"

"It's fine," Link replied coolly as he continued to swing. "I'm sure the rain will stop soon. Besides, this is the perfect time to practice. I can't expect to always have dry land to fight on."

"I suppose that's a fair argument," said the princess, disheartened that he hadn't picked up on her invitation to join her side. "Still, you say the rain will come to an end quickly, but..."

Frowning, she looked back up at the dark clouds above.

"I doubt this will let up anytime soon..."

The knight didn't respond, something that—at least these days— was quite rare for him. Though it was fascinating to see him in such an admirable state of concentration, after her failure the day prior, she couldn't help but want his attention a little more than usual. Clearing her throat, she began to speak again, choosing the first thing that came to mind.

"Your path seems to mirror your father's," she said, deciding to speak on something relating to his momentary obsession. "You've dedicated yourself to becoming a knight, as well. Your commitment to the training necessary to fulfill your goal is really quite admirable. I see now why you would be the chosen one..."

Hearing these words, Link's practice swings stopped. Exhaling a calm breath, still holding his sword at the ready as raindrops splashed on his clothing, hair, and sword, he glanced back at the princess watching him. Noticing his glance, the princess shook her head.

"Don't worry," she assured him. "I don't speak from jealousy like before. No... I truly mean what I say."

"I didn't doubt that for a moment, Zelda," Link said with a slight smile.