Chapter Sixteen

"Shit!" Kenni shouted it out as she watched Flint jump over the waterfall through her scope. "Lastor, he's in the fucking river! He jumped off the fucking waterfall!" She caught sight of two other werewolves bursting from the treeline and she lined up a shot and took it. The front one's back exploded as her .50 calibre ripped through his chest, the boom of her rifle bouncing off the mountains and making her ears ring even through her ear muffs. The other one was turned around and back into the forest before she had time to chamber another round.

"He what?" Lastor asked it with an edge and Kenni was already up, yanking apart her rifle to put it in it's case. The seconds ticked down and she felt like shit was going sideways far too fast.

"He jumped off a fucking waterfall with the asset. He's in the fucking river!" She was gunna kill him. If he survived she was gunna fucking kill him. She had eyes on him! She was his support and his dumb ass dog brain he decided jumping off a giant ass waterfall was a good fucking option. She couldn't believe him! "Stupid fucking dog! I'm going to fucking kill him!" Drain him dry and leave him to rot.

"Fuck!" Lastor's voice was harsh and Kenni bared her fangs and hissed as she shoved the last piece of her rifle into the case.

"I can't get down the peak in time!" She slammed her rifle case closed and latched it before swinging it to her back. She yanked on the strap to tighten it so it wouldn't slide off in her descent. She wouldn't get there before the fucker and the asset drowned, she hated that it was true but it was. She had the high ground and the bad part of that was she wasn't even remotely close to the action.

"I'll pull his ass out of the river." Lastor let out a heavy hiss and Kenni nodded even as the radio cut off.

She adjusted the strap before backing up and bolting for the edge of the cliff. "Fucking dog." She jumped off and reached out, grabbing the closest evergreen tree. Her momentum bent the top of the tree and she let it go, dropping further into the forest. She grabbed another branch, letting it slow her down. She swung once more before managing to land on a thicker branch.

Once she caught her footing she launched off of it. She hissed slightly, letting her vampiric strength flow through her. Her heart pounded hard in her chest as she jumped from tree to tree, her claws growing so she could dig into the bark. Normally she would have cared about leaving marks but she also knew she was far too high up for the shitty werewolves to find the claw marks. Not that they would, they were fucking stupid. Flint being the biggest fucking example of stupidity they currently had.

She couldn't believe Flint. She knew he had been acting suicidal but the fact she had eyes on him and he still jumped, pissed her right off. Not to mention he had the fucking asset. She cursed when the trees thinned out, making it nearly impossible to jump from tree to tree, so she jumped to the forest floor. The rifle case thumped against her back as she landed and she took off in a sprint. She ran through the trees as fast as she could, aiming for the river. She knew she was far enough down from waterfall but for all she knew Flint and the asset were further down river and drowning.

"Fucking idiot!" She pushed herself to move faster until her breathing was ragged and the trees were nearly a blur around her. She needed to reach the river because she needed to drag the dog's dumbass out of the water and recover the asset. She couldn't fucking believe him.

"Got him!" Lastor's voice in her ear had her resisting the urge to relax. She knew she couldn't until they got Flint and the asset out of the area and heading back to HQ. Everything had gone shit and sideways and she knew for a fact that Nalah was gunna pull Flint from missions until he got his shit together and she supported that decision. He was becoming a security risk, not to mention the fact he was doing everything in his power to fucking kill himself.

"Location." Kenni barked it out, moving around a tree and it wasn't long until dull, flashing beacon came from her tactical watch. She turned in the direction the flashing was quickest and continued to run. Her breathing was becoming ragged but she knew she was getting close when the flashing became quicker and she could hear the sounds of the river. With one more burst of speed and broke the tree's edge and spotted Lastor as he drug a rather limp Flint from the water. "Asset?" She looked around and Lastor jerked his head to the side and she spotted another limp figure, it's skin nearly waxy.

She sprinted over and grabbed the female, rolling her over to check her pulse. It was there and that was more than a relief. Kenni lifted her head, narrowing her eyes at the trees on the other side of the river. "We need to get to extraction." It wouldn't be long until that other werewolf sounded the alarm. "I tagged one of them, another escaped." She glanced over at Lastor and he sliced his wrist, letting the blood drip onto a rather nasty gash on Flint's forehead. "Fucking idiot." She hissed it out and Lastor grunted before putting his tactical knife back into it's sheath.

She turned back to to the female werewolf and picked her up in a fireman hold. She was fairly solid, well built and heavier than she looked but Kenni shook it off. All werewolves were built a bit more dense than other supes. Always a bit heavier than they looked, and then some were utterly dense all the way through, including their skulls. She threw a dark look over at where Lastor was picking Flint up in a fireman's hold.

"The bastard gunna live?" She hated that worry churned her stomach as it mixed in with the anger and Flint grunted.

"Could have fractured his skull, I don't know, we have to get him to extraction fast." His own expression was dark and Kenni nodded before shifting the female over her shoulders and starting her run. They had to get to extraction point and then her and Lastor had one last task to do before they could return to HQ and kick Flint's ass when he woke up.