Chapter 47. Time is short and fickle

Comenzar desde el principio

Regardless of the other things that might have been handled by other people, the speech of the leader of the consortium surely had to be given by the president himself.

"We can go back home, you don't have to worry about anything." Zane asked her again, as he patted gently the small beauty's head.

"No. If I can rest for a few minutes, I will be as good as new." Aria assured him and also showed him an even brighter smile to demonstrate her good health.

"Ryan, inform the managing team, I will be giving my speech right now. And as for the other things left on the program, they can reschedule them as they see fit." Zane's gentle voice had changed to the solemn and commanding tone that Ryan was most accustomed to, so without trying to change his mind, the assistant only complied and had already left to prepare the venue.

"You really did not have to do that." Aria urgently informed, but Zane had already made up his mind.

"It is alright. I have greeted some people, we have also entertained all the attendees with your song, which is a more personal touch to the overall party than intended. As such we have showed plenty sincerity towards everyone, so there will be no problem. Besides, I am also tired, and would very much like to return home and rest." He reasoned logically, seeing her worried face. And just to make sure she believed him, also sighed a bit as though he was truly fatigued.

With these reasons, Aria was of course convinced and would no longer try to assure him of her state.

"Zane, you called me." Malcom asked curious, after a brief knock on the door.

"Yes, please look after Aria for a bit. I will give my speech then come and take her back home." Zane informed his friend, and patted a bit Aria's head before leaving to finish his duty.

"Alright." Malcom immediately agreed and sat on the opposite couch.

He did not even look towards the leaving Zane, and had already started to enthusiastically discuss with Aria.

"Wow... I really did not know you could sing so well. Was that song from..." he started to talk with a bright smile on his face, not paying attention at all to Zane, who had glanced at them for a bit, before closing the door and leaving.

He really should have brought Anne with them at the party, Zane thought. But as his mother informed him she will also be coming an hour later into the program, he had let the maid have the night off.

With his mother taking care of Aria, he would have felt more assured that nobody would bother his wife. After all, who would dare cross the former president? But with the impromptu moment just now, his entire plan for the evening had changed.

His mother had not yet arrived, but Aria's general mood instinctively told him that she needed to return home with him. As such he had no choice, but to call the second person he most trusted, Malcom. Though he really did not like the fact that the latter seemed to have more in common with his wife than himself.

"Hapchu!" Malcom voiced unexpectedly, as he was listening to Aria's thoughts on a particular book.

"Bless you!" She politely told him, noticing his sneeze.

"Thank you! Weird, I'm not coming down with a cold and there's no draft in here." He pondered as he wiped his nose with a handkerchief. Strangely, he had been sneezing several time since he had entered the room.

"Perhaps there's a bit of dust in the air." Aria reasoned pensively. Though considering the care that had been put in for tonight's ball, it was highly unlikely.

"Yes, there's no other explanation..." He started to say, but could not continue his words when the ringtone from his phone was heard.

Answering the call from the hospital, his face changed when he received the news from the other end of the phone call.