Chapter 5: The Replacement

Chapter 5

Dale Rogers looked up as the doorknob of his office turned and the door was pushed open.

"Excuse me, you're supposed to kno—Oh, it's you." His expression turned to one of disgust as Bethany Martina strolled into his office.

"Mr. Roger's, I have important business to discuss with you."

"Ms. Martina, I have important business that doesn't concern you that I need to be doing right now. If you wouldn't mind stopping by later..." He stood and gestured toward the now-open door, but she remained rooted to her spot.

"Sir, I'm afraid that wasn't a suggestion. It concerns one of your agents."

He rolled his eyes and sat back down. "Let me guess: Cal Tucker?"

She looked surprised. "Yes. Has he done something noteworthy lately that makes you assume him?"

Rogers realized he had the upper hand here and didn't want to give too much away. "Nothing I'm aware of. He's a spectacular agent according to his personnel file, but nothing that would merit the level of scrutiny he's been receiving lately."

"What level of scrutiny? What are you talking about?"

He leaned back in his chair and smirked up at her. "I'm afraid you don't have the necessary clearance to be privy to that information."

She didn't react kindly to that. "Trust me: it would be better for you in the long run if you told me what I wish to know."

"Let me get one thing straight here: You. Don't have. The clearance. This isn't a personal decision whether or not I tell you, it's the law."

She leaned forward across his desk and glared at him. "If you don't give me that information now, it'll be your job. I come here under the highest authority, and I can make your life miserable if I'm so inclined."

He folded his hands on his desk and raised an eyebrow at her. "Is that a threat, Ms. Martina?"

She frowned and crossed her arms. "I assure you I will get that clearance, and you better make sure that you are prepared to tell me all you know about Agent Cal Tucker and any other interested parties when I do." She pivoted and marched out of his office.

Rogers smiled. Boy, he'd sure ruffled her feathers. It was moments like that which made his job worth having.

I knew I had to get out of that car. I knew if I didn't I would end up dying. I knew that I had a responsibility to protect Sierra, and that I was failing miserably.

I knew all of these things, but my body wouldn't react to what my mind was telling it to do.

With the last of my energy I unstrapped my seat belt and tried to lift myself out of the broken window. It was a last ditch effort, but I managed to crawl my way out of the wreckage and hide behind the smoldering ruins of my car. In the back of my mind I registered the fact that the sirens had stopped, probably waiting for me to show up at the hospital like I said I would. I had to fight off the clouds fogging my mind in a brutal effort to stay conscious. I was hoping whoever was chasing me would assume I was dead and drive off, but when I heard footsteps pounding on the pavement I knew this wasn't over yet.

I groaned and leaned against the crumpled metal for support. I wearily reached for my Ruger in its holster, and then realized that I had dropped it in the car.

Crap, I'm dead.

Not yet you aren't, Cal.

I stumbled over to the bed of my truck and managed to pry open the trunk. I dug around inside until I found what I was looking for. Pulling out a tire iron, I hefted it like a baseball bat, ready to face whatever threat might come my way. I couldn't see anything past the tall truck, but no matter who was out there, I wasn't going down without a fight.