Part Two - Something in Common

The Common Room was fairly busy with the usual crowds hanging out in different spaces, doing what they always did. The grungy ones sat with earphones on, bobbing their heads in time to the music and nudging each other with approval now and again. The super geeky ones were reading from books or kindles quietly, unaware of the world around them. Beyond them, some trendy ones sat gossiping and taking selfies, while looking at the geeks with outright disapproval. Right at the back by the windows, around a coffee table, were four of Jake's mates. He would have classified them as the Gamers, because although they studied hard too, they loved nothing more than a cheeky gamble.

Nick saw them coming and pulled a couple of beanbags over.
"Cheers, mate!" said Dan as he grabbed one for himself. Jake plonked himself next to them and was relieved to note that they were playing blackjack - his favourite game. In fact, they were mid-game so it gave him a little time to study the form.
"Did you see Sarah's hair this morning?" asked Roxy, with her eyes firmly fixed on the cards in motion.
"New style again?"
"Big time, Jake! Red, frizzy, hair extensions. I wish I had that kind of confidence."
"She always manages to pull it off though. Anyway, what have we missed?" Jake was happy to be chatting to Roxy but couldn't help notice the distressed look on Kelly's face. "Are you alright, Kel?"
"Sore subject," said Nick, indicating for a change of discussion. It soon became clear that Kelly had been putting in lots of cash and losing it repeatedly. Jake wanted to cheer her up but moments later, when she lost to the dealer again, she got up and stormed off.

Dan and Jake put down £2 each and were handed their first cards. Roxy was graceful in the art of dealing cards. To Jake it seemed as though her hands were magical, sweeping in front of them all, making cards appear suddenly, as if from nowhere. Fortunately for him, these particular cards were very lucky. He had a blackjack right from the off.

After a couple of favourable deals, he started to become more cautious. Jake always knew when it was time to rein it in a bit. He never got too carried away. Dan wasn't doing quite so well but he never showed any sign of frustration. That was one of the good things about him - he always looked on the bright side of everything. Still, it would have been painful to watch him keep on losing. Jake considered distracting him by offering to buy him a McDonalds milkshake and a donut.

Fate would have it that they never needed to pull out of the game though, as suddenly the fire alarm sounded and they were sharply shepherded outside onto the tarmac of the tennis courts. Jake couldn't help notice just how underdressed many of the other sixth formers were. Girls stood huddled together trying to avoid gusts of wind, while rugby lads were rubbing their bare arms, wishing they'd taken jumpers into the canteen instead of opting to show off their bulging biceps.

"Freaking freezing or what?" came a familiar voice from behind Jake. Roxy had crept up on him and started leaning on his shoulder.
"Better to be prepared in this weather. Especially 'cos there's always some idiot who thinks it's funny to set off the fire alarm." Jake was looking at one of the Year 10s who was a known troublemaker.
"It could just have been a smoker," chuckled Dan. "Plenty of them about."

The snow had stopped a little while earlier but the ground was still covered in what looked like icing sugar. It blew around and swirled in the air, making the scene all the more peculiar. Jake imagined they were in a movie and this was one of those scenes just after a massive battle, when the crowds were regrouping and the dust had recently settled. Perhaps they had just fought off an evil dragon or their school had been saved by a powerful wizard with a cleverly carved wand.