Reading

We left the shipyard two weeks ago, and the pain of leaving my family again was a fresh wound. I wished that the messenger hawks were faster, I had sent Zulma and Mother two-letter since leaving. I'd now have to return to waiting weeks for a letter to arrive, and the agony was unbearable. Zuko has been kinder though, I suppose he's sensed the unease in me since leaving. Now that news about the Avatar was out we spent most of our days either one or both of us tracking in the study.

It was a fruitless search, the Avatar slipped past us at every turn. We haven't seen him since the encounter in the South Pole, but just knowing he's out there sends hope burning through the two of us. Today Zuko was meditating trying to take his uncle's advice to keep a level head, a hard lesson for him to learn. Iroh and I were trying to deduce where the Avatar was "Iroh, he's leading us in circles," I tell the man reading sightings reports. "There is a report here that states he was seen riding a hog monkey in a small-" Iroh began saying "That's the same place we checked four days ago. All these sightings are old," I tell him feeling defeated from the revelation he was nowhere to be found. I grabbed the chart off the table "I'm going to talk to Zuko about our findings. Thank you for the help," I tell Iroh before heading off towards Zuko's room.

I crack the door peering in slightly at him alerting him of my presence. "The only reason you should be interrupting me is if you have news about the Avatar," he tells me as I glide into the room standing just behind him. "I have news but you're not going to like it. Try not to get to upset," I tell him holding the chart in my hand tightly.  "Honna, a sign of a great leader is to be able to keep level head, now whatever you have to say I'm sure I can take it," he tells me pushing me to continue with my bad news train. 

"Alright... We have no idea where he is," I tell him, not surprised to see his reaction. "What?!" he shouts sending his meditation candles into a bright powerful blaze "yes, a very level head dear great leader," I tell him shielding my face. "Give me the map!" he shouts as he rips it from my grasp "There have been multiple sightings, but he's impossible to nail down to one place. That bison he has is too fast," I tell Zuko peering down at the map from behind his shoulder. "How are we going to find him Honna? He is clearly a master at invasive maneuvering," he says disappointed and frustrated.

"We just need a fresh lead, not something flew in. What we need is to get lucky," I tell him he scoffs "I don't have time to wait around for luck! Your birthday will be here in a few weeks!" Zuko shouts frustrated feeling time slipping away from him. I place a hand on his shoulder "Zuko, you're doing everything you can. Be patient, we've waited this long we can wait a little longer," I tell him trying to ease the angry prince. 

" What about your birthday? What if we haven't captured the Avatar?" Zuko asked sounding disappointed "Well as much as my mother will hate it I think we wait for the opportunity to arise. What if we are chasing the Avatar or needing to hurry off on a lead? What will be the complete point? Yes, to keep what honor we have we must fulfill our vow, but we'll never be fully restored without the Avatar," I tell him assuring him of our priorities. Zuko doesn't say anything to me or even look at me after what I say I leave him to his thoughts as I exit the room.

I don't leave my room again until I am called for dinner, and I mark my book and head to the dining hall. As we sit the server sets down a delicious fish in front of us "My Prince and Princess today in the market I heard that the Avatar is in Kyoshi Island, he arrived only this morning," the server says causing Zuko to rise "The Avatar is in Kyoshi Island! Uncle ready the Rhinos, he's not getting away from me this time," Zuko says striding out of the room to go and dress in his uniform. 

"Are you going to finish that?" Iroh asks pointing down at the steaming fish that was supposed to be our meal "I was going to save it for later!" Zuko shouts grabbing the food off of the table as he leaves. "I guess this our fresh lead. I better go finish my book before he gets the Rhinos together," I tell Iroh as I go back to my room. As I am turning to the last page Zuko barges in "Honna! Why aren't you ready?" he asks frustrated "I was hoping to finish my book, and I'm sure you can wait until I finish this page," I say trying to refocus on the book. 

"We can't wait! Get ready!" He shouts at me causing me to frown my brows and stare up at him. "I'll get up and get ready if you read the page to me as I do," I tell him showing him I was serious about finishing this book. It was the last in the series and I needed closure! "Fine!" Zuko shouts with a blush crossing his face as if he'd never seen me in between changing, he'd barged in many times while I undressed. He grabbed the book and began reading the page. As he read I through aside my robe not shy in front of Zuko, not really caring since I was wearing my bra and shorts. I dressed in the Princess traditional armor, and as I straightened my crown he finished off the page. 

"Good you're finished lets go," Zuko said a blush painting his face. I giggled as we exited my room and headed toward the ship. When we mounted the Rhinos I always shared one with Zuko "get comfortable we won't be there until tomorrow afternoon," Zuko said causing me to sigh and rest my head on his warm back. As we rode off towards the village Kyoshi I thought about when Zuko read to me, and how it was peaceful coming from his lips.

"I enjoyed having you read to me," I stated out of the silence "I was a horrible experience and judging from the piece I read it isn't a terrible story," he told me I yawned with the closing night and mumbled out "you should read to me more often then," I felt myself drifting off from the comforting heat that Zuko provided. 

"We'll make it a date," I heard Zuko say before I found myself fully drifting off.