Chapter Four - The Cemetery

Start from the beginning

My breathing is a mess. "I really don't know what you're talking about, I just came to visit my . . . someone who . . ."

"Liar."

He is too close for my poor heart's health. "It's a free town; I can walk wherever I want."

Ares takes my chin in his hand and forces me to lift my head and look up at him. His touch feels warm on my cold skin, and I stop breathing. His wet hair sticks to his beautiful, pale, perfect face, and his lips glisten. I've only ever seen him from afar. Having him this close is too much for me.

"You think I don't know about your little childish obsession with me?" he asks.

Embarrassment sets my cheeks on fire, and I try to lower my eyes, but he gently holds my chin in place.

"Let me go," I demand, removing his hand. However, he stays in front of me, not backing away, and the intensity of his presence disarms me.

"You're not going anywhere until you answer me," he says, sounding determined.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I repeat, trying to ignore the heat that emanates from his body and warms mine even more.

"Let's refresh your memory, shall we?" he asks. I don't like where he's going with this at all.

"You've been watching me for a long time, Raquel."

I swallow.

"Your desktop background is a picture of me that you stole from my Facebook, and your Wi-Fi password includes my name."

His words make my stomach bottom out. I knew there was a possibility that Ares knew about my crush. After all, he'd hacked my computer. But he knows everything. To say I feel mortified is an
understatement. This is another level of shame.

He looks so victorious, as if he's in complete control of the situation. There's mockery and superiority in his expression. He enjoys cornering and humiliating me like this. He's waiting for me to deny it, to put my head down, and let him laugh at my embarrassment.

And that thought snaps me out of my self-conscious state. A defiant side of me surfaces when I feel cornered; it's like a defense mechanism. Mom says I got it from my father. Now it comes out and this becomes a challenge, almost a game, and I will not lose. I won't give Ares the satisfaction. I'm tired of hiding behind jokes and sarcastic comments. I feel the need to prove to this handsome guy that he's wrong about me, that everything he thinks he knows is pure lies, and that I'm not easily intimidated. I've had enough with hiding in the shadows. I've had enough with not telling anyone what I think and feel for fear of being rejected and cast aside. So, I raise my gaze and look directly into those infinite blue eyes.

"Yes, I have a crush on you."

I underestimated how startled he would be. His cockiness disappears, replaced by pure confusion. He takes a step back, looking stunned.

I give him a half-sided smile, crossing my arms over my chest. "Why are you so surprised, pretty boy?"

He doesn't say anything. Ladies and gentlemen, I, Raquel Mendoza, have left my lifelong crush speechless.

Ares recovers, running his hand along his jaw as if taking everything in. "I wasn't expecting that, I must admit."

"I know." I can't get rid of the stupid grin caused by the feeling of being in control of the situation.

"And may I know why you have a crush on me?" he asks, tilting his head to the side.

"Isn't that obvious?" I say, amused. "Because I like you."