Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter Four - The Cemetery

Ares stands in front of me, his black jacket partially covering the green T-shirt I saw him wearing at practice, an umbrella over his head, and his free hand in the pocket of his black shorts. He looks like what he is: a rich, athletic young man.

He appears calm, as if he hasn't just scared me so badly that I almost fainted. It's the first time I've been this close to him. I underestimated his height, which is very intimidating, and his cold gaze only makes me more nervous. A faint sheen of sweat dampens the back of my neck, and I squeeze my hands at my sides. It's surreal to face him after watching him from a distance for so long. I'm not ready even though I've pictured this moment a thousand times, but in none of those imaginary scenarios were we in a cemetery, nor was I sweaty and wet from the rain.

"You scared me," I say, clutching at my chest.

He doesn't speak but just stands there, silently watching me. Seconds go by that feel like years before a smirk unfolds on his full lips.

"You deserve it," he replies.

"Why?"

"You know why." He turns his back on me and walks back toward the mausoleums.

"Wait!"

Ares comes to a clearing and sits on a small headstone, putting his umbrella aside. I stand there watching him like an idiot, unsure of what to do with myself. He takes a lighter and a box of cigarettes out of his pocket and starts smoking. His eyes are on the cemetery sprawling around us, but he seems absorbed in his thoughts, smoke curling out from his mouth.

I know he has this habit so I'm not surprised, but it's a long walk just to sit there and smoke. Although it makes sense. His parents wouldn't approve of their star-athlete son puffing away on cancer sticks.

"Are you going to stand there all night?"

How can someone so young have such a cold voice? I take a seat on a headstone in front of him, keeping my distance. My mouth dries and I can feel my heart in my throat. I wasn't ready to interact with him. He looks at me as he exhales the smoke from his cigarette again, and I swallow hard. I don't know what I'm doing, but there's no way I'm going back down that dark path by myself.

"I'm just waiting for you so I don't have to go back alone," I explain. The lights from the small orange lamps in the cemetery illuminate him.

"What are you doing here, Raquel?" Hearing him say my name causes a strange oscillating sensation in my stomach.

"I came to visit a relative."

Liar, liar.

Ares raises an eyebrow. "Oh yeah? Who?"

"My . . . He's a distant relative."

Ares tosses his cigarette on the ground and steps on it to put it out. "Of course, and you decided to come to visit this relative alone? At night? And in the rain?"

"Yes, I didn't realize it was already so late."

Ares leans forward, placing his elbows on his knees, staring at me. "Liar."

"Excuse me?"

"We both know you're lying."

I fiddle with my hands on my lap. "Of course not."

He stands up and I feel helpless sitting, so I stand up too. We're finally facing each other, and my breathing becomes rapid and inconsistent.

"Why are you following me?"

I wet my lips. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Ares approaches me, and I back away until my back hits a mausoleum behind me. He presses his hand against the wall next to my head, making me jump a little. "I don't have time for your stupid games. Answer me."