Chapter Thirty-Four: The Plan

Начните с самого начала

Georgia presses her lips together, breaking our eye contact.

"Oh, right," I mumble. "Well, thanks."

Georgia shakes her head, tossing her black hair over her shoulder.

"So," I say.

"So?"

"If we are going to hatch a plan, I need to know what Elias did at the awards night."

Georgia lifts her eyes up from the pale carpet and looks at me in surprise. Then she rolls her head back on her neck.

"I suppose you should know," she mutters. "Basically he and I first met in the hotel lobby as thirteen-year-olds do. There were stolen glances between us-I mean obviously since I've been good looking since I was nine. Then he kissed me right before the awards started but then afterwards I caught him flirting with a-"

I want to smack my head into a wall. No. I want to smack her head into a wall then mine.

I settle for slapping my forehead with my palm.

"I mean what he did to Alex and Antonio," I say through gritted teeth. "I know what happened between you two."

Georgia tuts, rolling her eyes. "I was getting there."

I resist groaning.

"Basically, Elias tampered with the slideshow that was presented with the awards. The slide said Antonio Bruno-Not Just A Cheater At His Sport. Then Elias dashed onto the stage and started babbling on about how Antonio was a horrible rider, that abused his horses behind the scenes. Then he said that Antonio was probably cheating on his wife while she was getting chemo since she had nothing to offer him anymore," Georgia explains.

I look to the floor. Wasn't expecting that.

"That's... psychotic."

I watch Georgia nod, speechless.

"I know," she says. "Because of Elias's allegation, an investigation was done on Antonio, looking into how he managed his horses and what he did to them to prepare for events like the Olympics."

"And what he said about, Gina?" I ask, thinking of what Antonio must have felt when some kid accused him in front of hundreds of cheating on his wife while she was dying of cancer.

Georgia shrugs. "Elias was dragged off the stage and I remember Antonio didn't speak to Lars or Elias for a year. But since they still were in the same circle, Antonio had to pretend everything was fine. Alex, however, has been furious with Elias ever since."

"Understandable," I mumble.

"Yep."

My head starts to hurt. I think over what I've just been told and the words start to squeeze my brain. Now I know what we must do.

"So what's the plan?" I ask, boldness coming back to me.

A smile plays on Georgia's lips.

--------------------------------------------------------------

While I will admit the plan did seem like something out of a cheap spy movie, it was the best Georgia and I could come up with. And if I do say so myself, it seems pretty good.

"You sure this will work?" I ask Georgia, still taping away at my phone.

Georgia, who is hovering over my shoulder, laughs. "Of course."

I roll my eyes at her confidence, secretly wishing though for some of it to transfer into me.

My phone dings, drawing my attention away from Georgia; the voice memos app has downloaded.