Chapter 15

The days went by fast. Emma couldn't believe it's only two weeks before the Annual Charity Ball. Emma's days were spent preparing for the company's anniversary, the Annual Charity Ball. Emma had to attend Connor's meeting with an important client. If she wasn't accompanying Connor at the meeting, she had to go check on the catering and the venue for the company's birthday. She also had to meet with event planners and performers such as presenters, models, actors, and famous singers to fill in the event. There were times when preparing for the event or accompanying Connor at meetings, Emma also had to take care of Kayden's needs. Kayden was going to enter kindergarten soon. Ashton was finally willing to enroll Kayden into an elite Kindergarten in their penthouse neighborhood. Because of busy, Emma also had to move back and forth between Ashton's penthouse and her apartment. When Emma worked overtime, she would go home to her apartment. Then, when she had to accompany Connor to dine with a client, she would return to Ashton's penthouse if it was closer to their meeting place.

Emma got out of the elevator checking her journal. She had just come back from meeting one of the famous presenters who was hired to fill in a charity ball. They discussed the rundown of the event and made some changes to make the event more boisterous and run smoothly. She lifted her head as Anna patted her on the back with urgency.

"Thank goodness you're back. Hurry up and meet Mr. Miller." Anna burst into tears and was relieved to see Emma standing with a confused face.

"What.." before Emma could ask, a loud scream came from Connor's room. Emma frowned.

"Go. Go.." Anna pushed Emma towards Connor's office.

Emma walked into Connor's office. Before she could open the door, Connor's door office snapped open.

Emma saw a man with blonde hair and green eyes standing in front of her. His handsome face looked like he ate something sour. He smiled stiffly.

"Miss Clark." He nodded his head greeting Emma.

Emma nodded with a professional smile. Behind the man stood Vanessa Stone.

"I'm not done with you, Liam. Come back here." Connor shouted as he walked towards the door.

Liam Stone turned to face Connor. His right hand gripped the wrist of Vanessa who was bowing her head. " Connor, we'll talk again after you calm down. Regarding Vanessa, let me take care of it. " Without waiting for Connor's reply, Liam dragged Vanessa towards the elevator.

Connor stood in the middle of the room with his hands on his hips. He wiped his face with one hand and his mouth continued to curse.

Emma closed her eyes for a moment then entered the room. She closed the door and took a slow breath. Inside her heart, she cursed herself for why she had to face angry Connor for something she didn't know. 'Shit, bad timing!'

" Do you know?" asked Connor sharply. His face was still red with anger.

"Sorry, sir. I don't understand." Emma answered cautiously.

" Adeline. Wandering Track. A few weeks ago." Connor gritted his teeth. Looking at Emma turned her face away, Connor snorted in annoyance. "I thank you for helping Adel. But you are too much."

"What?" Emma looked at Connor in shock.

"You are my secretary. You should have told me this. I paid you to do the job of giving me the information I needed and being my confidant. But you stabbed me in the back by hiding this. You keep silent. You protect Vanessa. I'm the one who paid you, not her. If it wasn't for me, you, who are just an ordinary university graduate, wouldn't be able to get a high paying job like here."

Emma clenched her fists tightly. She pressed her lips into a straight line. Emma tried to be professional by keeping her emotions in check.

"Should I tell you that your best friend's sister framed your wife to defame her?"