Lupin's Resignation

Start from the beginning

"I will." I nodded back, feeling devastated. Not only was Lupin the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we had ever had, he was one of the best professors in general. And the fact that we had to lose him over something he couldn't even control was disgusting.

"You and Harry look after each other, okay?" He gave me a serious look as I opened the carriage door for him and he set down the boxes he had been holding. "And Cassidy. If you ever need anything, you can talk to Dumbledore. He really can fix almost any problem if you let him. And you can always write me, for anything. Harry too." He took the last box from my arms and clapped me twice on the shoulder.

I couldn't help myself. I threw myself into the tall man's arms, giving him the hug I felt like I had owed him for months now.

"Thank you, for everything. You've helped me so much this year. I couldn't have... Just, thank you." I stuttered out.

He chuckled and patted the back of my head lightly.

"Have a good summer, Miss Olsen."

I watched his carriage pull through the gates on the path to Hogsmeade for a few minutes before turning back to the castle. I climbed the few steps and pushed through the wooden doors, spotting Harry and Dumbledore at the end of the hallway, deep in conversation.

"You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us?" I heard the words drift over to me, the rest of their conversation lost on my ears. It was strange, the feeling in my chest the past few days. Even now, amongst the sadness for Lupin, Sirius, Harry. Amongst the nerves and dread I had carried the past few weeks in fearful anticipation for leaving my father once and for all, there was a small bubble of excitement that had doubled in size at Dumbledore's words. As if Tommy was standing behind me, just out of sight. Proud and excited for me for getting out. Ready to see what the future had in store for me. Proud of just how brave I could be.

I trailed behind Hannah, Bri and Maddie, reluctant to leave our shared dorm room until the last possible second. But that second was here now. I hadn't even told the girls that I was going to the Weasley's this summer, knowing they would never let me live it down.

We walked two and two out of the bustling dorm room and past the kitchens, the house elves inside probably hustling to get the final breakfast cleaned up from earlier.

"You guys go ahead, I'll catch up." I called to them, setting my trunk down next to me and clicking it open. I had crammed everything I had inside, although it was much more organized than either of the Weasley's, and on top was the slightly tattered copy of the book I had left for this exact moment.

I pushed the swinging doors open and peeked inside the crowded kitchen, spotting who I had come here for immediately, as well as two tall red heads who I had not been expecting.

"What are you doing here?" I shouted at them, holding back a laugh as they accepted muffins and pumpkin loaves from the many House Elves, all grinning ear to ear at this last exchange with the twins.

"Oi! We were coming to get you!" George choked out through a muffin.

"Got a bit lost, then, huh?" I gave them a look and they began their train of goodbyes to the small elves.

"Teesy?" I called to the little elf who scurried to me after saying goodbye to the Weasley's.

"Miss Cassidy! So good to see you before you leave miss! Can I get you something for the train?' She rambled and I shook my head.