Time

-Skylar-

Time.

One simple word that seems to have complete and utter control over a persons life.

It's one word that decides your every move, the four letter word that controls us.

You can never have enough of it.

But I think it's a load of bull shit.

''Dad?'' Kai gasps as his father walks through the door.

I spin my body with Aria in my arms but place her behind me as I take out my gun keeping it at the ready.

He looks at me and sighs before peering down to Aria who clings onto my leg, he gives her a little smile before I block his view by placing my body in front of her.

''I'm not a threat to any of you, I'm only here to help and keep my family alive and safe.'' He raises his arms slightly as if he was surrendering.

''Family?'' Sofia scoffs sarcastically from behind me.

''Yes a family.'' He nods.

''That's a joke, we have never been a family and never will be.'' Sofia laughs out with anger before Valerie moves to her side in an attempt to comfort her but Sofia pushes her off and gets up from her chair.

''Where we a family when mum died? Where we a family when you repeatedly beat us for her death while saying we weren't strong enough? Where we a family when you sent us out everyday to do your dirty work so you could get money?'' Sofia spits out.

No one says anything.

''You don't get to pick and choose when you want to look after your kids or be a decent father.'' Kai joins in.

''I know I haven't been great to you guys, and I understand that as a parent I should of done better.'' He sighs out looking to the floor.

''No as a decent human you should of done better.'' Kai storms out of the room leaving us all in silence.

I look around confused on what to do before Theo points to where Kai left signalling I should see where he is.

I hand Aria to Valerie and walk out of the room.

''Kai?'' I call as I walk out onto the street.

''Here.'' He sighs as I see him sitting on the floor, against a metal fence outside the house. ''I'm really not in the mood edera.''

''Never thought I would hear the famous Kai Dawson say those words.'' I mock as I rest my head on his shoulder.

I feel his tense muscles release built up anger and his breathing slows down, I take his fisted hands and place them into mine as I drag my thumb on top of it in an attempt to keep him calm.

''What a life.'' I sigh to him.

''I can't complain much, I've got you.'' He flirts as he places his arm over my shoulder pulling me in tighter with his grip, making me laugh.

''I thought that would of been more of a reason to complain.'' I mock.

''No I am definitely satisfied with having you here.'' He chuckles under his breath before we return to sitting in silence and his mood lowers.

''Look Kai.'' I get up from his shoulder and look him in the eyes.

''No Skylar I don't need you to tell me that my dad is some great person and that I should trust him.'' Kai huffs out.

''What? I wasn't going to say that, listen to me you baby.'' I cup his cheeks in my hands forcing him to look at me.

''I think your dad is a piece of shit and you and Sof deserve so much better, but none of us can reverse time so we can't fix what he's done. But I know for a fact that we can change the future and right now all I want is to be with you and Aria making stupid cookies in the kitchen not fearing for our lives.'' I cringe at what I say and how much I am admitting to.