Chapter 17: BAD MEMORIES

Start from the beginning

The note was written in all capitals at the end to further convey its seriousness. Ever so slightly, the message was having the opposite effect on him. Before the next thought could go through his head, the camera was on. He was surprised to see the saved photographs instantly appear on the screen.

Kazuichi: "Oh..." His arms started shaking as soon as he saw it. There was a heavy feeling washing down his body, almost locking him in place. Breaths grow rapid, his chest rising and falling the more he stared at the picture. Mindlessly, he went to the next one, it was worse than the previous one. The heavy feeling shot through him again, resonating in his chest as his heartbeat got faster and faster.

Look away.

He kept going, feeling in some way that he was obligated to do so. The images were horrid, some worse than others, all of them having the same effort on him. They induced fear, sadness, disgust... despair.

Look away.

He couldn't. So, he did the only thing he could do. He let the camera slip out of his hands. It hit his feet as it fell, landing on the ground with a noise that echoed in his eardrums. The battery had been knocked loose, the device now off once again. He shuddered, whimpering as he let his body fall to the floor. Inches from his face was the camera. Later, he would hide the camera, better than it was before. He would also decide not to tell the others. Just in case, he made sure to re-attach the note as well.

===========Timeskip===========

Sonia: "I feel like I have to ask you this." Sonia said as she walked down the restaurant stairs, Fuyuhiko was a few steps ahead of her. He let out a sigh and she could just imagine that his face was contorting to show his irritation.

Fuyuhiko: "Why do we have to carry this damn food, just for them?" That was what he said, he ignored her almost completely, his eye fixated on the giant mound of substance piled atop the ceramic plate he held.

Sonia: "Ah." She stopped herself when she realized that he didn't say anything that told tell her to not bother talking to him. "They did not come out to eat, so we have to take care of them. As their friends... right?" She found herself asking a different question than the one she intended.

Fuyuhiko: "I'm not doing any shit like that." They were walking past the pool now, on the water's reflection, she could see that his face was straight. "You're doing that. Just because I'm helping you carry this, doesn't mean I did anything."

Sonia: "Are you helping me because we are friends? We are friends... right?"

Fuyuhiko: "I'm helping you because you asked. Open up!" They stopped in front of Akane's cottage door, Fuyuhiko yelling instead of knocking. The call was answered quickly, Hajime opened the door and took the delivery even quicker, voicing his and her thanks. The door shut, leaving him and Sonia alone again. "We're friends." He huffed, turning to her as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "The fact that you had to ask if we were? That's fucking stupid."

Sonia: "I am glad to hear that, but I still have that question I was meaning to ask."

Fuyuhiko: "Well, that's just too damn bad. I'm taking the night shift in Kazuichi's place, so I'm going to go get some sleep now." He left her hanging, walking to his cottage and shutting himself inside.

What did Sonia want to ask him? Was it about Peko by any chance?

===========Timeskip===========

It took everything he had to not dig that camera back up. There was an odd attraction to it, to the photos. Like, if he looked long enough, he'd find something that would make seeing all the others worth it. Just one candid image that would make all the others insignificant.

Kazuichi: "We're here for a reason..." That's all he could think of, and that concern wasn't his. He had his own reason, as did everyone else. Kazuichi wouldn't hold any of those pictures against 'her', and he certainly wouldn't treat 'her' any different when she wakes up, IF she wakes up, they were classmates after all. He was grateful that there was someone out there kind enough to give them all a second chance.

Fuyuhiko: "It's quitting time." Fuyuhiko pulled him from his thoughts as he stepped into the room. They exchanged looks, the yakuza looking him over pitifully. "You look like shit."

Kazuichi: "Guess I'm just a little tired." All he could do in this situation was lie, telling Fuyuhiko the truth wasn't on his to-do list right now.

Fuyuhiko: "Get out of here then."

Kazuichi: "Yeah."

Fuyuhiko: "Oh, and don't forget to lock up Nagito before you go to sleep." They went their separate ways, Fuyuhiko would spend the rest of the day in the control room, while Kazuichi would go back to his cottage. 'Seriously, what's his deal?'