43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

Start from the beginning

"A fool in love, yes." 

Matthew jumped and spun around to see Tom with a knowing smirk. 

"Being in love makes you a fool, then?"

Tom chuckled and shrugged. "I'd say so. Makes us do crazy things. Go against the current. What man of your standing would wait three years for a girl he was unsure would still want him? Given what is considered as good as law in our society, you should have come home with a fiance...or even married! You had hope...hope many would consider foolish."

Matthew smiled. "Do you consider it foolish?"

"Not at all. Then again, I don't usually see eye to eye with the norms of our society. Besides, Evie's worth being viewed as a fool for. I know you know that."

Evelyn stepped out of the house and grinned at Tom. "Good morning, Tom!"

He smiled, always finding it sweet how she made it seem like a joy in her day to see him - though, for Evelyn, it really was. "Good morning, Evie. You two go on. Have fun. I'll be on my way to The Dowager's house soon."

Evelyn hummed. "Why?"

He shrugged. "Lady Grantham and Lady Rosamund wanted to visit."

Evelyn narrowed her eyes. "One does not simply visit The Dowager Countess...they are summoned."

Tom chuckled. "If anything shocking happens I'll let you know."

"Good. Be my eyes and ears Tommy boy." She looked up at Matthew who was already smiling down at her. "Shall we?"

"We shall." He extended his arm out to her. 

Evelyn led them away from the house a bit before Matthew stopped her. "Shouldn't we have Tom drive us down to the farmlands?"

 "Oh no. I can drive."

Matthew looked at her like she were crazy. "You can drive? Drive what?" Evelyn pointed at the Mercedes. Matthew's jaw dropped. "Is that yours?"

"It was my father's. My grandmother had it sent here."

Evelyn released his arm so he could walk around the car in awe. "I didn't know you could drive. Since when?"

"I knew a little before I left. Got a bit of experience in America and...well, that's it. America. Do you like it?"

He nodded. "It's stunning."

"Well...we're a package deal. So..."

Matthew chuckled. "So to get the car I have to have you?"

Evelyn smirked. "You make it sound like the car is the main attraction! No, no. The car is one of many perks of me."

"Well...I'm interested in you, not the accessories." 

She blushed and cleared her throat...there go the butterflies again. "Do you want to drive it down?"

"Really?"

She nodded. "I trust you're a good driver...of a bike at least."

"Hey, don't make fun of my bike. I like my bike." He pouted playfully.

"Oh no I'm not making fun...it's cute."

"You are making fun of my bike! Well, I planned to let you ride in the basket but that offer has been retracted."

She laughed. "I'm not! I promise. I had a bike when I was younger...I loved it. I should get a bike again. We can go on bike rides."

He smiled. "That actually sounds quite nice."