12 ~ Conductor Ben

(A/N: What a cutie

(A/N: What a cutie...but I digress)

Evelyn and Matthew finally made it into the village, she directing him down the streets until they reached a small flower stand. Evelyn instructed Matthew to stop there while she scanned the streets for any sign of Ben or his red Dion-Bouton. The streets were crowded with people as the traveling salesmen were set up not too far away.

Evelyn sighed and plopped back into her seat with a look of pure defeat and sadness. "He's not here."

Matthew smiled apologetically. "Why don't we run by the hospital? See if he's there."

Evelyn nodded at Matthew's suggestion as they headed that way.

----------------------

Matthew parked outside of the hospital as Evelyn hopped out at the sight of Ben's car.

"Thank you so much, Matthew. It was very kind of you."

"It was no hassle at all. If you ever need me, Evelyn, do not hesitate to get me." She nodded. "Are you sure you don't want me to wait for you?"

"No, thank you. If he's not here or doesn't want to see me I'll join Mises Patmore and Dasiy at the vendors."

Matthew nodded. "Well, he's a fool if he doesn't want to see you. Have a good day, Evelyn." He tipped his hat and drove away.

Evelyn smiled at Matthew's kind words before the butterflies in her stomach returned. She stepped into the hospital to have the smell of metal and blood hit her nose - it didn't phase her much. Dr. Clarkson entered the waiting area and smiled at Evelyn's guilty face.

"He's in the back finishing a patient for me." He smiled.

"Oh, Doctor Clarkson I am so sorry there was a man at the Abbey and it was the craziest thing and I completely lost track of time and - "

"Evelyn," Clarkson's soft voice calmed her for the moment. "It's alright, dear. Ben's not upset with you, he knew you wouldn't just abandon him. He was a bit disappointed, but understood nonetheless."

Evelyn smiled sadly and nodded.

Emerging from the back with his eyes reading over a chart, Ben made his way to his uncle. "Heart rate was seventy-two and blood pressure was one eighteen over eighty...make of that what you will but he seems fine to me." Ben handed Clarkson the chart and pushed his hands into his white coat pocket.

"Thank you, Ben. Now, go have fun."

Ben raised an eyebrow before he caught sight of Evelyn standing nervously in the doorway. She sheepishly waved at him, earning a surprised smile from Ben. "Evelyn...hi."

"Hi, Ben. I'm so sorry."

"No, it's ok. You're here now. Let me go over this real quick and I'll be right out, ok?" He smiled.