43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

"Evelyn, you know she doesn't digest pork well

"Evelyn, you know she doesn't digest pork well." Robert scolded, peaking over his paper to see Evelyn slipping Isis secret pieces of bacon.

"But she wanted it." She pouted.

Robert chuckled and shook his head. "Then you can clean it when it comes back up."

Evelyn's hand stopped mid-air as she prepared to sneak the dog another piece. She huffed and instead popped it in her own mouth.

"So what do you and Matthew have planned?"

"Just a walk, I suppose."

"Knowing you, it'll turn into a trek up Mount Everest. Well, Cora and I are going on a stroll with Mary and Sir Richard if you'd like to tag along." He peaked over his paper again to see Evelyn's disgusted eyes.

"I'll pass."

He chuckled. "I knew the answer but thought I'd extend the invitation anyway. Well, enjoy your little intimate walk then.  And do find the boy a place to sit, at least. He'll need it when you speak of your travels."

Evelyn nodded. "I will. I was thinking I'd take him to the pond...catch a frog or something."

"Please don't embarrass the family by chasing frogs...again."

"Embarrass the family? Like this man isn't related to you."

"He has every right to disown us."

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Always so dramatic."

"I am my mother's son. You're not going to the hospital today?"

"Not today. Doctor...oh...Major Clarkson told me to take the day off since 'Mister Crawley has come back to town,' as he stated."

Robert smiled. "Kind of him."

Evelyn nodded in agreement before looking up at the clock on the wall - seven-ten. She began taking sips of her coffee, trying to suppress the butterflies in her tummy. She's known this man for several years why on earth was she so nervous? Was this normal?

"Uncle Robert?"

"Hm?"

"Do you still get nervous around Aunt Cora?"

"Nervous how?"

"Like...excited...in a way. Like when you fell in love."

He smiled and folded his paper on the table. "Of course I do. Why do you ask?" "

"I just feel so nervous. I'm afraid it's..."

"Fear?"

Evelyn nodded. 

"Feeling in love and fear feel a lot alike. They both give you those anxious butterflies in your stomach, a sense of excitement, and a general unease physically and mentally. It's easy to confuse love with fear. Then again...you feel fear in love as well. Fear of losing someone you love. So really, they go hand in hand. So...maybe you are afraid."