A New Face

Chapter 11: Nightmares and Newcomers

Lightning strikes from outside the window of my room. I sit in my bed covered by multiple sheets, clutching my favorite plush toy. I hear my mother and my father from outside the closed door, which is the only entrance to my room. I hear my mother and my father talk with someone else outside in the living room; they sound different than usual... almost scared. It rattled me and gave me chills as I hid myself under my blankets and hoped it would all be over soon. It wasn't; the talking soon grew louder and I heard threats that I've never heard my father say before. Then, suddenly, my mother started to scream. My father yelled. I couldn't bear not knowing what was going on. Against my better judgement, I slowly inched my way off the bed, still clutching my plush toy tightly, as if it were my only safeguard. I open the door and start to slowly walk out, leaving the sanctuary that is my room. Looking down the short hallway to the left, I see a dark figure holding a gun to my both my parents. My wolf father looked bravely into the eyes of the figure as the barrel of the gun is leveled to his head not even 3 feet away. My mother, of the same species is standing right behind my father with a scared expression; I've never seen her like this before. The figure finally speaks, with a sinister voice that chills me to the bone.

"Now... I am going to ask one more time. What. Do. You. Know?" He demands, with a level of intensity in his voice. 

"I told you, we know nothing. Now please leave us alone; you've overstayed your welcome." My father demands back with a commanding voice. The figure begins to laugh.

"You actually think I'm just going to walk out that door? Just leave and pretend nothing ever happened? It doesn't work like that." I see him pull back down on the hammer of his revolver and I close my eyes shut. I hear two gunshots. My eyes re-open as I shoot forward from my cot and yell.

"It's okay... it was just a dream..." I say to myself, wiping the sweat from my brow. I look around for any indication of the time and see nothing to aid. Some slight commotion from the other cells through the walls, give the indication that it must be somewhere in the late morning to the early afternoon. Still wiping the sweat from my brow, I make my way into the bathroom and start the faucet of the sink. I place my paws under the running water and begin to dab and wipe my face, half hoping to wipe away the memory of that dream, along with my sleep. Looking up into the mirror on the wall just behind the sink, I see my reflection. It begins to talk to me and suddenly, I see those black eyes that I'm all too familiar with.

"So... what was with that creepy dream last night? Usually it's something normal like, running through a park or... hehe... a wet dream about your girlfriend." Other says to me in a near saucy voice, through my own reflection.

"You spy in on my dreams?" I respond, almost surprised.

"Only to watch. I can't really interfere with them and yes I do spy, if you want to put it like that. When you're a subconscious being, you don't exactly have much to keep yourself occupied." Other responds, casually and as if it were no big deal.

"Get out of my reflection. I really don't need you right now." I state with a near vexed tone of voice.

"I'll ask you later when you're feeling better." Other says, as he fades out of the mirror, giving me back my own reflection. I step out, leaving the entrance to the bathroom open. Since most of my time is going to be occupied in the confines of this cell, I might as well make it pass faster. I lie on my back and arch my knees up on the floor; beginning to cross my arms and lift my upper body. I continue this exercise for the next forty five minutes or so and stop to take a break. Continuing with my exercises, now varying from my sit ups to push ups and the occasional yoga. During my exercises, the television in the wall revealed itself to broadcast another arena fight.