18. Here For You, Fallen Tears, & An Invisible Halo

Start from the beginning

I remember. Very well. He told me he will always be by my side, through thick and thin. Oh yeah, and he told me he loved me.

"I remember," I whisper, tears falling down my cheeks.

The thing is, I want to believe him, I really do. Honestly, I'm not sure what's holding me back from falling into him. But, once you have been told lies from people who are supposed to protect you, it messes with a person.

Trust issues. I have them. I hate to think I can't trust Colson, it doesn't seem right. After the day I have had though, all I want is to disappear.

"Lilianna, I meant it. Every word spoken was true. I will stand by you even if the world puts us through hell and back," he reassures me.

He didn't say "if the world puts you through hell and back," he said "us." We are in this together.

God, I love him.

My eyes are still glassy with tears and he doesn't wait for a response from me.

Before I know it, his car door is open and he steps out of the vehicle. Then, he proceeds to slam the door. For a moment I wonder if he is mad at me, if maybe I did something wrong.

He walks around the front of the car, only to then open the passenger door. He steps closer to me, grips my hips and turns me to him so I am facing his beautiful face.

With his hands still on my hips, he pulls me in for a sweet, gentle, quick kiss. The kiss expresses things I cannot believe.

It will all be alright so long as you are here with me.

It's a promise.

Cole pulls away and asks calmly, "How about we get you inside, and I'll make you anything you want, yeah?"

It's barley audible, but I let out a quiet, "Yeah."
*******

I am currently purchasing a huge stuffed bear

Huh, that's a situation I never saw myself in.

I tried to make Lily something to eat, but she claimed all she wanted to do was sleep. I didn't fight her on it, it's how she copes.

Sleeping is how Lilianna copes. Is it the healthiest way to cope? Probably not. Is it the most unhealthiest way to cope? No.

I would rather her sleep than harm herself that's for damn sure.

She told me I could leave and that she would text me when she woke up, which is how I ended up here, purchasing a ginormous stuffed bear that is probably bigger than Lilianna herself, with chocolates in my car.

I know chocolate and a large stuffed bear won't take away from the heavy feelings she is feeling, but at the least maybe it will take her mind off of things for a little while.

Just as I leave the store, my phone buzzes with a notification from Lily.

My girl: I just wanted to let you know I woke up and I'm doing... alright. I love you lots, Cole.

Me: I'm glad to hear you're up. Is it okay if I stop by? I have some stuff I should drop off for you.

My girl: Yeah. Give me 20?

Me: Perfect.
*******
Twenty minutes later, I am standing at Lilianna's front door with the stuffed animal and chocolates in my hand.

I texted her before I got out of the car to come downstairs because I knew my hands would be occupied holding her gifts when I was at her door.

The door bursts open and her mouth drops.

"Surprise," I try but it comes out more like a question than a statement.

"Colson... what is this?"

"An overly stuffed bear and chocolates to make you feel better," I say it like it's the most causal thing in the world to be showing up at my girlfriend's home with a life sized stuffed animal and her favorite chocolates because she had a crappy day.

She opens the door a little more and motions for me to come inside, still shocked. I walk in her house and make a run for the kitchen counter where I put the chocolates. Lily follows right behind me and I give her the light brown colored bear whom she'll probably name Mr. Bear.

She holds the bear close to her, like it's her lifeline. It's the cutest thing I have ever seen.

"Lil, can we talk?"

"Of course," she replies, skeptical.

"I always call you my girl-"

"Or darling or babe," she cuts me off with her remark and a smile.

"Yes," I blush.

Why does she have this effect on me?

I push forward with, "I have been thinking, while you are my girl, my darling, my babe, there's something else you are."

"What's that?"

"My angel."

She gasps and then her lips turn up into a sweet smile. It's nice to see her smile after the depressing day she has had.

"You have an invisible halo and invisible wings, but you are my angel. You are my gift sent from Heaven. My angel to keep safe, to treasure, to forever love," I finish.

She looks at me with wide eyes and astonishment on her face. She looks like a kid on Christmas morning, like she has just been gifted the world.

"I love you, Colson Miller," she blurts out, making me smile.

"I love you too, Lilianna Welt," I say, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

Yeah, she's my angel.

author's note!

word count: 1,462

thank you all for 29k reads on this book, it means the world to me.

merry christmas eve to everyone who celebrates! i truly hope everyone has a happy holidays!!!

the new year is coming up and i'm hoping to get a few more chapters written and out before school starts again on january 3rd (ugh!)

oh and tomorrow december 25th i have a big announcement to make so make sure to stay tuned ;)

xoxo,
katie <3