15. Homecoming, Him, & The Truth

Mature Content Ahead!

"Hi, sweetie," my Mom greets me as I walk through the front door. I awoke this morning wrapped in Cole's arms in his bed.

"Hey, Mom."

"Okay, what happened last night?" she asks and the smile on my face drops and my eyebrows pull together in confusion.

"What?"

"You walked in here smiling like an idiot. I wasn't born yesterday, something happened last night that made you happy," she explains.

She is spot on. I'm so giddy this morning it should be illegal. I kissed Colson last night and we made things official. Colson Miller, my best friend since I was nine, my neighbor, my boyfriend... I can't get the thought through my head.

"I'm dating Cole," I blurt out and a smile spreads on her face. "Oh and we kissed."

She laughs at the last part, but she seems genuinely happy for me. I know she is fond of Cole, she always has been. She knows he means the world to me, he always has, he always will.

"I'm happy for you, Lily. I'm glad you have found someone who cares about you. And I'm proud of everything you have overcome to get to where you are today. I love you sweetie, that will never change."

One thing I am thankful for is my relationship with my Mom. My Dad may be a douchebag, but my Mom is the strongest woman I know. Me and my Mom have been through so much together and I love her for never giving up on me. She could've walked away when my Dad did, but she stayed and she takes care of me. She loves me, believes in me, and supports all that I do.

"I love you too, Mom," I add with a smile.

*******

"Hey Mom," I shout from my bedroom, "Come here! I want to show you something!"

She comes walking through my bedroom door and stops in her tracks.

"How do I look?" I ask twirling around in my Homecoming dress.

"You look beautiful, Lilianna," she says and I can tell she is starting to get teary eyed. "Look at you, my little girl, all grown up," she gets out and a tear falls down her cheek.

"I'm not all grown up. I still can't use the stove," I say, trying to make her laugh.

She giggles and says, "Come on, let me do your hair before the man of the hour arrives."

We walk into my bathroom and she runs a hairbrush through my hair. I always loved when my Mom would brush my hair as a kid. There is something so calming about it and I can't explain how comforting it is.

After she made sure there weren't any knots in my long, brown hair she starts french braiding my hair in two braids. When she gets to the back of my neck, she stops braiding and puts the remaining hair into a low bun.