Chapter Twenty One - Her Prep

Start from the beginning

I grabbed the hanger and walked into my bathroom, slipping on the black dress and not even noticing what it was. I felt sad and not in the mood to go out with my soulmate. I felt this unnerving need to know why Connie was upset. Even when she was upset, she was never snappy. This was so out of character for her.

I walked back out to Amanda holding out a pair of strappy heels. I slid them on and grabbed my phone.

"You look perfect!" Amanda gushed putting her hands together, but it didn't sound natural coming from her. She was the one who was supposed to remind me of the self defence moves we learned in a class that she made Connie and I attend. This was supposed to be Connie.

"I can stay home if you guys want? We can watch a movie?" I asked a little unsure of what I should be doing right now.

"Nope. You go meet your Prince Charming. Connie and I are going to go for a walk. A very long week," Amanda stated rigidly, her eyes set on our friend.

Connie cleared her throat, "I'm sorry, Mabel. I'm in a... bad mood. I really think you'll have a blast and you look beautiful as always."

I smiled at her, happy to have my friend back, if not somewhat subdued. "Thanks, Con," I whispered.

Amanda stood up and tugged Connie's arm up along with her. They hugged me and wished me good luck before leaving my apartment.

I sighed, looking at my phone. It was six and I had a half an hour to waste, so I grabbed my letters that I had made the day before and threw on a jacket before heading next door. I knocked on the door and waited until Marcus cracked it open.

"Mabel," He cleared his throat nervously, his eyes trailing down the length of my dress. "Hey."

"Hey," I smiled at him as he opened the door all the way so that I could walk in ahead of him.

"You're heading out soon?" He asked as he walked into the kitchen. "Coffee?"

I nodded brightly, "Yes, please!" I straightened my dress as I sat down. "I'm going out. Out out."

"Like you have something you want to tell me, out?"

"I guess? I'm going out with Jackson tonight." I explained.

He chuckled, "Not what I meant, Maybie. I'm happy for you if you're happy. You deserve it."

He walked over to me with a mug and I raised an eyebrow that A. He had mugs at all and B. The type of mug he held out to me.

"Is that... a donut mug?!" I enthusiastically accepted the cup that we had spotted together at Walmart before everything went to the crapper with Ethan.

He smiled softly at me, "Yeah. Only one though."

I grinned taking a sip. "Aww, Marcus. Thank you!" He had really just put in the best mood. I was now ready to conquer my fear. I could take on this huge milestone in my life, finally.

"So where are you going?" He asked as he sat down next to me.

I pulled out my phone and opened Jackson's texts to show him. Also, I was right. Everything tasted great in this cup.

He raised an eyebrow, grabbing the device from my hands. "What's with the emojis?"

I shrugged, "I like giving emojis to people I talk to."

"So wait," He trailed moving his fingers along my phone, "Does that mean that I have emojis?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "Why?"

He burst out laughing, "Why am I a sixty nine?"

"A sixty nine?" I leaned over to peak at the phone, "it's a cancer zodiac sign! You're a cancer!"

"It's also kinda sexual, Maybie."

I frowned, crossing my arms with my donut cup still clutched tightly.

Marcus chuckled, "I'm going to give you emojis now." He pulled out his phone and began to scroll away.

"You are? What is it?" I craned my neck to catch a glimpse of it but he pulled his phone away, hiding it against his chest.

"Nah. You can't see this."

"Marcus! I showed you mine!"

"That was a bad move, Maybie."

I humphed as my phone buzzed.

Jackson 🏈🏋️‍♂️👩‍❤️‍👨: I'm downstairs. What's your apartment number so I can meet you upstairs like a proper gentleman?

I smiled looking over at Marcus who was still busy choosing emojis for me, a smile on his face as he fidgeted with the images. I couldn't explain why I didn't want Jackson meeting Marcus.

Mabel: chivalry is overrated. I'll meet you downstairs.

I stood up, smoothing my dress out and Marcus put his phone down next to him to look at me.

"What emojis did you choose for me?" I wondered.

He smiled mischievously at me, "You'll never know."

I shuffled uncomfortably on my feet, "I, um, wanted to give you something before I headed out." I reached into my bag, tugging out the letters and handing them over.

Marcus held onto the envelopes in confusion so I continued, "I know, it's kind of lame, but I wanted you to know that I'm here for you even when you don't want me to be there." And with that, I walked out to meet my golden boy waiting downstairs.