"Ahh! That makes sense." Kemi sent her a quick smile. "And where does or did Amara live?"

"Right opposite me." Dora let out a dry laugh.

"Oh! That's quite surprising."

"I know. But we rented the houses at the same time. And as luck would have it those two happened to be vacant." Dora shook her head and wrung her fingers.

"Hmmm, interesting." Kemi turned to face her. "Are you ready to head out?"

Dora looked up and stared at the building. Her mind traveled to the activities that occurred behind the walls and a shiver coursed through her.

She gazed as a silver car drove out of the compound just as a red minivan drove in. Her eyes looked on as the occupants of the minivan leaped out with various shopping bags.

The sounds of chattering filled the atmosphere.

She gazed as a woman on the phone came out to one of the balconies.

Suddenly, it wasn't the woman anymore but she and Amara sitting on their balcony gossiping about their husbands and toddlers.

"Dora! Dora!" A worried voice rang in her ears.

With foggy eyes, she turned to face her friend. "Yes?"

"Are you alright?" Kemi squeezed her shoulder.

Dora blinked rapidly and then nodded. "I am okay," she whispered.

Kemi's eyes roamed over her face and she squirmed.

"Okay; if you say so." Kemi dropped her hand. "Shall we go?" Her head tilted to the side.

Dora stiffened and tightened her jaw. "Yes; let's go." Without looking at Kemi, she pushed the door open and slipped out.

She gripped her bag as she waited for Kemi to come round.

"So lead the way." Kemi sent her a small smile.

Dora nodded and took a few steps forward. She gripped her bag tighter as she felt nausea rise in her throat.

Everything felt oddly familiar.  But yet, as she scanned the area, no familiar face greeted her.

Dizziness rushed through her as they reached the rusting black gate that blocked her path into her past.

She released a shaky breath and shoved It open. 

"Oh, my, not much security here," Kemi remarked as they peered into the desolate compound.

"Yeah, we never had a security guard. And I guess it remained the same after all these years." Dora shrugged and shook her head.

"That's crazy. I can't imagine living like that. How did you do it?"

Dora smiled. "Well, it was quite simple. The neighborhood was crime-free to some extent. And we had bats and pans ready for use." Dora couldn't hold the laughter that bubbled out.

"Hmmm, that makes sense. But still, a person well trained in security matters should have been hired."

Dora's eyes glistened with amusement. "Well, we did have the help of the master of security. "

"Really?" Kemi arched a brow. "Who's that?'

Dora grinned and said, " God, our protector."

"Oh! He is the best." Kemi returned her grin.

"Exactly, he is the best in everything." Dora's grin grew wider. "Now, can we continue with our journey?"  Her eyes twinkled.

"We sure can; since there is no one to stop us." Mirth shimmered in Kemi's eyes.