Chapter 43

Going down the road listening to Lauren's mixtape, both women remained completely silent on the car ride to Tara's house. Emma was shocked to hear that her therapist was a vigilante that took out men like Weston during her free time. 

Finally breaking the silence Emma asked, "So let me get this straight. You go after men like Weston and get retaliation for their victims?"

Nodding her head as she drove Lauren responded, "Yes, that's correct."

Looking on Emma asked, "What made you start to do this?"

Lauren then took in a deep breath as she began to explain, "When I was twenty and still in college, I had a friend named Cassie. She was the nicest person you'd ever meet, kind of like you. We had been best friends since middle school and had gotten into the same college. She wanted to be a nurse and I wanted to be a clinical psychologist. It was kind of our ambition to do better in the world and help as many people as we could."

Shuddering she continued on, "One night Cassie decided to go to a frat party with one of her classmates from biology. I told her I couldn't go that night because I had a big psyche paper that was due the next day that I was trying to finish up, it was our final semester and we were getting ready to graduate in a few weeks. So, she went to that party by herself. Around midnight I had this strange feeling in my gut that something wasn't right. It wasn't until the next morning when Cassie stumbled into our dorm room. She was bloodied and bruised up with tears streaming down her face."

As she was telling the story tears began to stream down from Lauren's eyes, "I couldn't get her to talk so I took her to the E.R. When we got there they ran some tests on her, they said that she had been raped and that she had Flunitrazepam  in her system or more commonly known as roofies. When they asked me what happened I couldn't answer them, I told them I hadn't been with her that night and that she had gone to a frat party."

"After that they gave her medicine and we left the hospital," Lauren said driving on the Tara's, "Later on that week a video had gotten leaked out. It was of Cassie's assault, some people were calling her a slut and a tramp. In this video you can see more than one person assaulting her, most of the guys were rich and had lawyers that could get them off on those charges. The Friday before graduation I was coming back to our room after studying in the library, when I opened the door I found Cassie inside hanging from our rack in the closet we shared. She had a note beside her that said 'They won. It's over, I'm done. Goodbye world.' When the police came they said it was a clear suicide. When they took her body away I just knew that I had to do something, so in that moment I decided that no longer would a woman have to be harassed by her abuser or her rapist. I got my degree in clinical psychology and became an advocate for rape victims. In most cases I even take out the perpetrators."

Emma sat silently with tears streaming in her eyes, she was so moved by the story and felt terrible for Lauren and Cassie.

Wiping her tears Emma said, "I'm so sorry Lauren."

Shaking her head Lauren replied, "Don't feel sorry for me feel sorry for Cassie. She had so much more life to live and now she's gone."

Nodding her head Emma asked, "What happened to her rapists?"

Pulling into the yard of Tara's house Lauren replied, "They were found two months after graduation brutally murdered in their homes. No evidence of who did it, but most people agreed that justice was served."

  With that both women got out of the car and walked up to the door. Emma was a nervous wreck, she'd been missing for just over twenty-four hours and knew that Gemma was going to be pissed.

Knocking on the door Lauren tapped her foot gently, she wasn't the most patient person. In her left hand was a large overnight bag that held items that Emma didn't know about.

Quickly the door opened to show a frantic Tara on the other side, "Get in here you two. Gemma is on the way. Jesus, we've been looking for you everywhere Emma. We even called your sister, Sadie, to try to find you. What happened," she asked while hugging the blonde.

Walking with her friend into the living room Emma said, "Weston literally kidnapped me off of my front porch. I'm sure the multiple security cameras I just got put up the day before caught it. I had gotten them put in after the whole Weston being in my back yard incident."

Tara guiding Emma to the couch sat her down and asked, "What happened?"

Just as Emma was about to answer, the front door flung open and Gemma stood looking wide eyed at the girl. She had a look of both concern and anger on her face.

Walking up to the girl she slapped her face and then hugged her whispering, "Don't you ever do that shit to me again."

Hugging the older woman she cried slightly, not from the stinging of her face, but because of the fact that Weston had taken her and she didn't think she'd see her again.

It was then that Lauren spoke interrupting their moment, "Not to spoil the moment, but I need to change. No offense Emma, but this whole wholesome look isn't doing it for me."

To that Gemma turned to face the woman with a sharp brow raised, "Who the hell is this tramp?"

Lauren then decided to introduce herself by holding out her hand and saying, "I'm Dr. Lauren Green. I'm Emma's therapist and friend."

Lighting up a cigarette Gemma said, "Therapists go on rescue missions undercover at a racist rally now?"

To that Lauren smirked taking out her lighter to light the cigarette saying, "I'm a special kind of therapist."

Taking a drag Gemma nodded her head before looking at Tara saying, "I like this one. Take notes."

After a few moments Lauren had gone into the bathroom to change and Tara had gone into the kitchen to make a kettle of tea for everyone. All this was happening while Emma and Gemma were sitting on the couch.

Lauren walked over to Emma and handed her the big overnight bag she had brought and said, "Here I always carry a spare pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt with me. I've also got some flipflops that might fit you."

"Thanks Lauren," with that being said Emma went to Tara's bathroom to change. 

Being thankful that she was alive Emma changed her clothes and thought of Weston. She was sure that he'd try to come after her and want to hurt her for leaving the church.

As she exited the bathroom she saw that all three women were talking in hushed whispers to one another. It was clear that they were worried about something.

"What's wrong," Emma asked as she sat on the couch beside Gemma.

Tara deciding to be the brave one said, "The boys were arrested at the church tonight, they had heard that they were having a rally there tonight."

Emma uttered to herself, "Shit. I'll call my dad in the morning."

Nodding her head Gemma looked on at the girl and said, "Okay thanks Em. Now please tell me what in the fucking hell happened."

With that Emma took a deep breath and began to tell them what had happened the day before.

Author's note: Happy Holidays loves! Be sure to like and comment! It let's me know what you think of the story so far! Plus it gives me the initiative to continue writing.

I hope all of you have a great Holiday and a wonderful New Year!