Diary of a Black Fifteen-Year Old Prodigy

Start from the beginning

“Huh!” said JT, in a mocking shocked voice. “Oh no, not detention what will mom say when she hears this.”

Everyone laughed again.

“Mr. Robinson, see me at detention” said Mr. Bradley.

“Okey dokey artichokey” said JT.

Everyone was still laughing.

“Stop laughing all of you or all of you gets detention” said Mr. Bradley.

He turned around.

“Yo bitch ass” JT mumbled.

Everyone quietly sniggered, causing Mr. Bradley to stop for a minute and continue writing on the board with JT getting away with the snide remark.

After school, all five of us waited for JT who came from detention looking smug as if he was a superhero who saved the day.

“Your stupid” said Dante, half laughing.

“It’s what I do” said JT.

“Watch yourself, or you’ll get banned from the prom” said Jamal.

“Pppshhh, like that would ever happen, I’ll sneak back in” said JT.

That’s something JT would do. I knew him for a long time, anything you ban or punish him for he’ll find a way around or something useful about the situation. As we were walking off campus, and walked around the corner we saw the gay guy from school James Edwards being teased by anyone other than: Lorenzo Perkins.

“Hey look” I said to the others.

They all looked.

“Hey, that’s wrong they can’t do that him” said JT.

“JT, don’t get involved you will get in trouble too” I said, holding him back.

“That’s not fair, they can’t do that I'm going over there” said JT, pushing away my defenses.

JT walked over.

We followed him, stopping at a respectable distance.

“What are you douche bags doing teasing him?” asked JT.

“Probably trying to have a little fun” said Lorenzo, in his deep voice.

“Doesn’t mean you have to tease a gay kid” said JT. “James, what does he have that’s yours?”

“My baseball cap, my dad gave me before he passed away” he said.

“Give him back his cap!” shouted JT.

“No, what if I don’t want to!” said Lorenzo, with an angry face expression.

“Give it back or I’ll…” said JT.

“Or you’ll do what” said Lorenzo, getting closer.

“This!” said JT, as he punched him in his jaw knocking the cap out of his hands which James caught.

“James, RUN!” I yelled. And he did so by jetting to the opposite side of the street and into the streets of Jasper Road. Meanwhile a brawl engaged with me, Dante, and Deshawn holding off one crony, while Jerry and Jamal took care of the other, with JT handling Lorenzo. With three guys against one enemy it was pointless to lose against the one guy and we beat him down. I had to give him credit though he did put up a fight. Jamal and Jerry took care of the other one and all we had left was Lorenzo who was still fighting JT, who supported a black eye and a bloody lip.

“You guys could help here!?” shouted JT.

“You need your friends to help you, you little baby!” said Lorenzo, in a mocking baby voice.

“Screw you!” said JT, as he kicked Lorenzo his private place which ended up with Lorenzo flying five feet in the air and landing on his back. That was our chance to run.

“RUN!” I yelled out. We all dipped.

Just as soon as we was about to hit the corner, Lorenzo got up, and drew out a pistol and shot two bullets one hitting the wall and the last one hitting Jamal in the leg.

“AHHHHHHHHH!” he screamed out.

“Jamal!” we all gasped out.

“Grab him!” said Dante.

JT ran and lifted him under the legs and we began to run just as a bullet whizzed by JT’s left ear. We jetted down the street and we didn’t stop until we reached Harrison Blvd which was fifteen minutes away from where we last were.

I checked behind us just in case Lorenzo was still following us, but he wasn’t. Thank God, we escaped! Oh yeah, Jamal.

We all were crowded around him.

“Dude you okay!?” I asked worriedly.

“Yeah, just got hit in the leg” he said. “I should be fine.”

“Okay!” I said. “Someone pull out their phone and call 911.”

“I'm on it” said JT, as pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number quickly.

“Yeah, 911 we have an emergency on the corner of Harrison Blvd and Felix Lane.”

“A kid has been shot in his leg and he needs an ambulance quick!”

A minute later he hung up.

“They’re on there way” said JT.

We all tended to Jamal who was still gasping in pain.

“You’re a big boy, your gonna make it!” said Jerry encouragingly.

Jamal nodded.

“Man. I knew I shouldn’t have started this, I nearly got my best friends killed” said JT.

“If I never helped James this would have never happened!”

“Hey, you tried to help a classmate dude and you took guts for him” I said. “Don’t be hard on yourself; you did a good thing, a stupid thing, but good.”

“Yeah, but what if he doesn’t make it…” said JT before he could finish a sentence.

“Shut up will you, he’s gonna be fine” I said. “And besides here’s the ambulance right now.”

The ambulance pulled up on the curb with two paramedics coming out with a stretcher. We helped them place Jamal on it.

“We’ll see you later Jamal” I called as they carried him into the truck.

“Aight” he called back, and they shut the ambulance’s doors and drove off.

“Let’s go to my house and tell my mom to drive us to the hospital” I said.

We all agreed and began walking to Harris Avenue, and just before we did, I turned to JT.

“Dude, JT you’re a hero today man, a jackass all the way but a hero” I said.

JT smiled. “Thanks!”

I patted him on the back and we kept moving.