Diary of a Black Fifteen-Year Old Prodigy

Chapter Ten

Sunday,

April 23

3:27 PM

I'm dead! I thought as me and the boys ran to Karina’s house. I couldn’t believe it, how did they know? Did Karina tell them? Was she forced? Or caught? Any one of those explanations could be valid. I mean we didn’t want to tell them now, but, but, but…

We stopped running just as soon as we came to the door, I knocked on it. Karina slowly opened the door, and had let us in.  The guys went in, while I held back to talk to Karina.

“What happened?” I asked. “How do they know?”

“They knew because my mom heard me scream and throw up” said Karina. “This baby is killing me, Cameron.”

“You’re considering an abortion” I said.

“NO!” she yelled. “But they probably are.”

“Who?” I asked.

“Our parents!” said Karina, tears coming to her eyes now.

“No, they can’t they won’t” I stammered.

“They are not aborting this baby!” I said, hugging Karina with my hand rubbing the back of her head, my fingers caressing her red hair.

“It’s going to be fine” I said. “We are going to tell them were not aborting the baby.”

“Well, my mom doesn’t really have a problem nor does your mom, it’s my stepdad who won’t take no for an answer” said Karina.

We broke apart. I grabbed her hand and we went into the living room where everyone else was.

Everyone was sitting, until Mr. Gonzalez stood up and walked towards me, pushing Karina aside. “What gives you the right to impregnate my step-daughter?”

“It wasn’t on purpose, it just happened” I said.

“I didn’t know till earlier!”

He got closer to my face, and I smelled his hot breath which made me put up a face, but I had to straighten up just to be polite.

“Again what gives you the right to impregnate my step-daughter?” he asked again.

“Well, I said I don’t know, and she told me this has happened before with your wife” I said.

“And please sir could you get out of my face I am claustrophobic” I said.

He gave me a look as if it was joke but it wasn’t I really was and I was about to throw up on him if he didn’t. He stepped back and I had air to breathe in again, instead of Sewer City which was in his mouth.

Karina stepped in and said, “Ted, he didn’t know and plus he forgot to put on the condom.”

“And I don’t have a disease” I said. “Like the other one did.”

My mom and my sister nodded.

“But I still don’t approve of her getting pregnant at this age” said Mr. Gonzalez. “She’s only fifteen and still young.”

“I was fifteen when I was pregnant” said Mrs. Gonzalez. “And I told you, Ted it runs in the family.”

“It might even happen to Ciara.”

Ciara made a snorting sound, but looked unsure all the way.

“My baby is not getting pregnant when she turns fifteen, she’s only eleven” said Mr. Gonzalez.

“Well, my baby is pregnant and you can’t change that” said Mrs. Gonzalez.

“Yes, I can I could make her abort it” said Mr. Gonzalez.

“Well she’s not” I shouted out.

“And what makes you think she isn’t?” said Mr. Gonzalez.

“Because I care deeply about Karina and she even said as well as her mother she wasn’t doing it” I said.

“Yeah, I did say that, Ted” said Karina, sticking up for me. “It’s like I have a bond with this thing.”

“Well I am her step-father, her legal guardian and I say she is like it or not” said Mr. Gonzalez.

“We don’t have the money for that” said Mrs. Gonzalez. “And you’re not the only person in charge of her.”

“And plus I said, Ted” said Karina. “I don’t want to!”

Mr. Gonzalez looked at her for a moment, and said, “I'm not letting Karina have a baby with this ungrateful, low-life boy who pretends he’s gangsta getting away with impregnating her.”

“WOAH, WOAH, WOAH!” said Mrs. Cambridge standing up.

“You don’t call my baby, ungrateful and low-life and he doesn’t ever copy gangster characteristics!” she shouted.

“I really don’t” I put in.

Mr. Gonzalez looked at me.

“Well, I don’t care!” he yelled. “You are forbidden to touch her ever again!”

“NO!” screamed Karina. “I am still going to see him, regardless of what you say.”

“I said you’re not!” yelled Mr. Gonzalez.

“MOM!” said Karina, turning to her mother.

“I agree with Karina, she can still see him but they’ll have to loosen up on the sexual activity” said Mrs. Gonzalez. “And please calm down.”

Mr. Gonzalez didn’t have a choice. He couldn’t speak. With a moment silence he finally said, “Fine.”

“Thank you, Ted” said Karina and Mrs. Gonzalez together.

“Yeah, yeah and could you all leave my house now!” said Mr. Gonzalez.

Everybody murmured with exasperation and sarcasm and left to the door and exited. I was the last one to leave because I wanted to talk to Karina and she waited for me at the door so I could speak.

“Uh well that went okay” I said to her.

“Yeah, but at least our families know now and we can’t get separated” said Karina.

“Yeah, and that’s something in the world I wouldn’t want to happen” I said.

“Yeah, true” she said.

“Well, it’s goodbye now because after all we have school tomorrow and probably a doctor’s appointment for me” said Karina.

“Yeah, my mom is waiting for me” I said. “So see you later.”

“Yeah” said Karina, smiling.

I kissed her goodbye and went to go inside my mom’s van. Meanwhile in my mom's van, my mom began to speak,

"I don't know what the hell was going through your mind boy, but you better find someway to help yourself through this!"

I didnt speak. I didnt know what to do, I mean the girl of my dreams I have finally gotten is now pregnant and both of our families are filled with concern, fear, and expectations to our next moves, but it's unclear what'll happen next, I just didnt know. I just hoped that God has an answer to all this and we can get through it. Hopefully...