TWENTY-TWO: Happy! Scared! & Proof?!

Start from the beginning

The peace is suddenly shattered by a loud crash, causing me to jump and look around. My heart is beating wildly as Mom and Ma both turn towards the front door, which is I guess where it came from.

"W-What was that?" I whimper out.

They're both shaking their heads, Ma wipes her hands clean before going towards the door. She's not thinking of going out there is she?! At the thought I jump out of my chair to grab her hand so she can't move any further.

"N-No, d-danger!"

My breath gets shallow as she looks down at me, I know she's not going to listen to me, but that means she might get hurt! I'm suddenly lifted from behind and turned into Mom's chest as she carries me away from the kitchen and upstairs. I'm starting to hyperventilate while I cry out for Ma not to go outside; I'm trying to control my breathing at the same time, but it's impossible to do both and right now I'm more worried about Ma than myself.

As my panic attack continues I can't continue yelling out, Mom rocks me as she tries to calm me down, but I don't think her magic is going to work this time. It feels as though not even a second later I'm slipping and I just let it happen, finding the warm darkness surrounding me.

Margaret Ann Pearce's (POV)

My baby is hysterically crying as I growl and move towards the front door, flinging it open. I'm not sure what I'm expecting to see, but what I do see pisses me off.

Red paint is splattered all over the front door, steps and all along the drive. There's so much paint everywhere I can only step slowly through, trying to make sure I don't get any on my slippers. I make my way around the area, when I reach my truck my blood starts to boil. The front window is completely smashed in, I guess that was the source of the loud crash from earlier.

As I walk I scan the area, there are no cars in sight so whoever did this has to be on foot, they may even be hiding on the property still. I'm so angry that I'm not concerned about my safety, I simply continue to move around the yard with a scowl on my face. If the person is watching me I want them to understand I'm not afraid.

Walking to the side I continue to check the grounds, but I'm stopped in my tracks when I reach the garage. In a second my courage disappears when I read the words that cover the massive garage door. 'SHE IS MINE' is painted in massive red letters, taking up the entire space.

Immediately spinning away from the words I rub my neck and take a few deep breaths to calm myself, before taking another look. Slowly and with a shaky hand I reach out and touch the bottom of the last 'E'; the paint's dry. Instantly my fury returns. This bitch has to have been here all night, skulking around the property! There's no way the paint would be dry now if she did it this morning, she must've done it last night. But my truck was done this morning. Is she hiding somewhere close? Is she watching me now?

Shaking with anger and fear I rush back inside, closing and locking the door before setting the alarm and getting my phone out.

I'm still shaking as I dial Olly's number, so I take deep breaths as I pace. Over and over I just thank the goddess that my baby didn't see that mess, the noise alone was enough to scare her!

"Marge, what's wrong?" Olly asks when she answers the call and immediately hears me sniffling.

I can't help the sarcastic chuckle that escapes before I answer. "Your FBI friend. Do you know what time she's going to be here?"

"She should arrive around ten at the latest. Marge, tell me what's going on over there!"

I can tell my goddaughter is worried and that will only cause her stress, so I do my best to put on a brave face, wiping the rest of my tears as I walk into the bathroom.