Chapter 39 - Lucky Charm

Evan Hamilton

It's game day again but this game feels unlike the other game that I played. It feels different, ever since I received the bad news, I keep thinking about how many times do I have left and it makes me sad all over again.

The game started and I played just like normal, glad that the opponent also not on fire. The coach keep shouting at me because I lost focus for some couple times, even he needed to get me out of the field for a while. He told me to take a deep breath and clear out whatever in my head, somehow he knows my head is not here it's somewhere else. The referee blew out the whistle which means it is time for a break, Gale came to me with a question eyes.

"You alright man?" He asked.

"I was just not feeling well, but I'm all good now," I said as he sit next to me.

The coach let me to get back into the field again and we ended up winning the game, I took off my helmet when the time is finally up. I can feel sweats running down my face after I'm taking off my helmet, I look at the supporter seat and see Amanda who's sitting right next to her friends.

"Ooh look at that, your lucky charm," Gale said while I catch her looking at me. She should've not come, she should've rest at home. But when I see her, it's just.., it always make me want to break down to tears.

"My lucky charm," I sigh while catching my breath.

"I love you," I whispered wishing that she can read my mouth, I keep looking at her who nodded before those eyes turn into something else. I was looking at her when my team mates came to hug me to congratulate us for the win today.

~

I cleaned up right after the game and went to her who have waited for me. She was wearing my sweater and it looks very big on her, she looks adorable. She doesn't have to try she always look as beautiful as she is. I walk closer to her as she smile before she kisses my lips, she's smiling at me but there's something different from the way she stares at me.

"Sorry I was late," she said with my arm stays around her hips.

"It's alright, I played very bad at the first quarter the coach had to take me out of the field," I said while we're walking out of the school.

"Really?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Anyway how did you get here?" I ask because I know that her mom was probably busy at her office.

"Audrey," she said while we're walking towards  my car which parked right in front of the school lobby. I finally got my car back after what I've done, I guess dad felt sorry for what I've been through he gave me back my key yesterday morning before going to school.

"You should've not come," I said to her while brushing her shoulder.

"Why? I've promised you," she said.

"You don't have to come if you're not feeling well, your health condition is my priority now," I said as she looks up to me.

"Thank you," she said before I unlock the car then we get into it.

~

Amanda James

Evan drove me home like always, ever since I knew that I got cancer I started to realize that all the symptoms that I thought was just a simple thing turned out to be the main thing now. I realized that I'm not as healthy or as strong as I used to, and sometimes the thought of I'm dying started to get into me.