15: Home

Maryam didn't know how she was able to live in that house, alone, with that girl that seemed to be too friendly for her liking. Before, she was terrified of her, but now...well, she didn't even know what she felt about her. But yesterday, they had watched a movie together and Maryam didn't seem to be terrified for a bit. Rather, it felt nice to be in a company of someone else apart from herself.

No matter how she didn't want to, she kept thinking that it was Intisar. Because Bilkisu did things to her that Intisar did. She cooked for her, she made her bed, she made sure she wasn't bored or sad. She spoke to her even though she knew that she might hardly get even a nod as a reply, but she had never been angry. She asked her to pray whenever it was time, just like Intisar did. And she scowled her face whenever Maryam did something wrong like throw the pillow away before she placed it back to its place. It was too much that Maryam couldn't help but ask her of her age and when she said she was 19 years old, same as Intisar, she felt a part of her opening up for Bilkisu.

She was seated on the kitchen island as Bilkisu moved around the kitchen while she made dinner for them. Today was the first day that Maryam come to the kitchen when she was in here and from the look in her eyes, she was so thrilled and happy that she was getting closer to her. She was cutting the onion for her just like she did to Intisar, as she tried not to cry again like she did last night.

So, he was really not coming back again? It had been two weeks already, she counted the days until she added up to fourteen and she didn't know if he meant this to go forever. She was furious at him, but then a part of her still wanted him to come. She wasn't going to speak to him even if he did, she just wanted to see him in the house and that would cajole her mind that she wasn't abandoned by him.

The onion was hard for her eyes that they began to water, and when Bilkisu turned and saw that she was crying, she panicked. "Your Highness!" She exclaimed and went up to her. Even though she knew her name now, she just couldn't bring herself to call her name despite the age difference between them. "Please let me do it, you can go back to your room or watch the tv." Maryam collected back the knife from her as she tried to shift, and when Bilkisu saw that movement, she knew she had come closer than she should, so she took a step back.

"I'll bring a tissue for you then. But please, oh my god!" She sadly shook her head as she went out of the kitchen. She had taken the tissue from the dining table and was about to go back to the kitchen when she saw them walking into the living room. Na'im along with his soldier friend like they called him in the palace, herself and the other maids.

She immediately bowed her head and spoke, "Good evening, Your Highness." She greeted and he only nodded his head, angry at Hafiz for forcing him to come here out of his will.

"Evening, what's your name?" It was Hafiz that answered her and Na'im found himself a spot on the sofas and sat down. When she told him, Hafiz sat down too before he spoke, "Well, Bilkisu where's Maryam?" Na'im turned to him with a look that was curious about how he knew her name and he laughed, "You don't expect me not to know her name just because I don't call her with it, right?" He joked and whispered, "Or would you have preferred it if I call her your Baby Bride in the maid's presence?"

Na'im only shot him a glare and he laughed it off. "She's in the kitchen," Bilkisu answered.

"Ohh, I think she's getting along fine here that it would be so sad to have her leave. What are you doing with the tissue then?" He wanted to find an excuse to send her to her room and when she told him what she was going to use it for, Hafiz gladly told her to give him the tissue and she should just go to her room, she can come out when they left to continue cooking. Bilkisu did as ordered and he placed the tissue on Na'im's laps.