Chapter 2 - Runaway Blond

After a gruelling week straight of being on standby for the agency, Shota's day off rolled around like a God-send. In the spirit of family bonding time (and preventing Hitoshi from climbing the walls), he and Hizashi had decided to take the tiny trouble maker to the park for the afternoon to burn some of that seemingly endless energy. 

Two short years had passed since Shota signed the final papers for Hitoshi to officially become an Aizawa. He hadn't grown much over the last couple years, still only brushing Shota's hip, but his hair had slowly developed from a manageable frizz to wild waves now touching his shoulders. Hizashi joked that all his height went to his hair, but Shota was starting to think he wasn't that far off the mark. 

But despite the years spent under the Aizawa roof, Hitoshi's Quirk was still a topic left relatively untouched. They prodded at it occasionally, trying to coax him to use it so they had a better idea of what they were dealing with, but even for being as young as he was Hitoshi had incredible control over his power - more control than Shota saw in most adults. 

Starting school had been an entire fiasco none of them were really ready for. Hizashi had said he was prepared for the emotional ordeal, but it was Shota who'd ended up taking Hitoshi school supplies shopping when the blond couldn't manage the simple task of walking out the door without tears in his eyes, muttering things about how they grow up so fast. 

And don't even get him started on the first day of school.

But all in all, the years had passed by in a purple blur, and Shota was left wondering where the time had gone as he and Hizashi held Hitoshi's hands as they crossed the road to the park. When they passed through the gate the kid bolted for the sandpit, leaving the adults to find their own way to a bench. The playground was quiet that day, the serenity in the air easing the tension from Shota's shoulders. Hizashi's hand found its way into his, their fingers intertwined as they talked about everything and nothing all at once. 

"Dad! Pa!" 

The shout came not long after, followed by the light thunder of feet on grass. They looked up, mad purple hair sprinting towards them, a flash of hair blonder than Hizashi's just behind.

 "I made a friend!" Hitoshi beamed, hopping on the spot as he caught his breath. Shota looked over at the other boy, then scanned over the rest of the playground. Where were this kid's parents?

"I'm Neito and I'm Hitoshi's best friend!" The boy placed his hands firmly on his hips and puffed out his chest. 

Hizashi chuckled. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Neito." He said, smiling softly at the boy. The kid had a couple of inches over Hitoshi, but the same roundish cheeks and excitable energy had him guessing they were the same age.

"Say, Neito, is there anyone looking after you?" Shota asked, looking around the park. He couldn't see any other adults frantically looking for a runaway child. Not even a senior citizen searching for a grandchild. 

"Nope! I ran away!" A proud smile spread across Neito's face, head lifted high; the perfect picture of pride.

"Dad, he said he's been planning to escape for ages! It worked!" Hitoshi's hands curled into excited fists, pumping the air. A frown pulled down the corners of Shota's lips. He exchanged a brief glance with Hizashi, finding the same look of concern written into his features. A kid this age shouldn't be out alone to begin with, but to have them runaway? Shota saw red faster than he moved when Hitoshi nearly fell off the kitchen counter. 

Taking a breath, Shota pushed off the bench and crouched in front of Neito. "Can you tell me where you escaped from?" He asked, desperately trying to recall what the protocol was for lost children. It was look for the guardian, right? Or... was it take them somewhere safe? God, Shota could feel his years of Hero training slipping through his fingers like grains of sand.