Untitled Comic Book Drabble

I've been reading @whatcatydidnext's comic book drabbles lately, and I think they're brilliant. In a hundred words, no more, no less, she's able to present believable characters in curious and fascinating scenes. I like how open-ended the pieces are; though inspired by a particular character, each drabble could be projected into a thousand different tales.

Here's my humble attempt to do the same. If you want to know the "answer", click on the external link (did you guess correctly?). Or, if you prefer to leave things mysterious and let your imagination fill in the blanks, keep your mouse far, far from the link. Either way, enjoy.

                                                                          ~ * ~

He piles the coins carefully, gold with gold, silver with silver, enjoying the clink they make as the towers climb ever higher.

With each coin, another image flashes through his memory. Scotland. The Mississippi. Australia. The Klondike. Home. He made his home himself, created it, for these coins, for these memories.

No one has ever understood why the coins are important. His own sisters left him, not understanding. They would not talk to him for decades.

Now he has his nephews, and they are more important than the coins, more important than the memories. But even they do not understand.