Chapter 21

Hey, look who's still alive!

Phineas scowled. Really, how hard would it have been to say, 'by the way, the open's going to be black-tie.' Okay, so that was a slight exaggeration, it wasn't black tie but it was close enough. If his apartment wasn't so far away, and he hadn't walked, he would have gone home to change.

He didn't remember any of the openings he went to as a kid being fancy dress. Sure, some people had worn dressier clothes to them but it wasn't a necessity or anything.

Trying to ignore the newest disproving starer, he looked at one of the displays, a detailed carving of Mount Rushmore on a two-inch by half-inch piece of chalkboard chalk. It was one of the simpler pieces there, he couldn't concentrate on it.

He could barely remember a time when being stared at by strangers didn't make him uncomfortable. He knew there had been a time like that. A time when he loved being the center of attention and had been too blind to notice if it was for a good or bad reason.

Too much bad attention had snapped him out of that naïve mindset. He supposed he should be grateful. No one liked an egomaniac jerk after all. Not that he thought he'd been one but he might've become one or something.

Then again, whatever labels could be placed on him now didn't seem like the type of person most people liked either.

Maybe he was just cursed.

Immediately after thinking it, he huffed. Curses weren't real. It was just make-believe shit to make people feel better about true love's kiss and believe they could have happily ever afters. When better to start selling people on the idea of soulmates than when they're little kids wanting bedtime stories?

"Not to discredit your friend's talent, but I fail to envision someone placing any of this art on display outside of this setting."

Phineas was a bit pleased he hadn't jumped at the words. Not looking at Ferbs, he said, "I don't think he sells it."

"Perhaps he should explain that in advance."

Risking a glance at Ferbs, he saw he was watching something. It only took a moment for him to figure out what. A couple was arguing with Django as they gestured to something hanging on the wall. Someone actually wanted to buy something? Seriously? He smiled slightly, even as he felt a little bad Django had to deal with that.

The smile vanished as he caught sight of something behind the couple. "Shit."

Ferbs shot him a confused frown.

She shouldn't be here. Stepping back, he placed himself at Ferbs' side, hoping to block her view of him. Maybe he could just walk away, quickly, and hope she didn't see them together. Or maybe she wouldn't remember Ferbs? He'd made it sound like their meeting had been brief.

"Isn't that your sister?" And Ferbs had spotted her. Just great.

"Yeah, just, um, could you," he waved a hand in vaguely shooing like motion, "go somewhere else?" He could feel Ferbs' eyes on him behind those dark lenses. But, after a beat, he started to move away from the spot.

Sadly, it was a beat too late.

"Hey!" She was practically on them already. How had she crossed that much space without him noticing?

Ferbs stopped short as she cut in front of him.

With her heels, Candace was almost nose to nose to him, her eyes narrowed into slits. "I thought I told you to leave my brother alone."

So much so the hope she wouldn't remember him.

But Ferbs took it in stride. "I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot, I'm--"

"I don't care who you are." She poked him in the chest. "He doesn't need some green-haired punk like you--"

Yeah, he needed to do something before this went somewhere they'd all regret. "Candace."

She didn't take her eyes off of Ferbs. "Not now, Phineas."

"Candace!" Seeing another dismissal forming on lips, he bit the bullet. "He's my soulmate."

"I don't care if he's your..." Trailing off, she blinked. "Soulmate?" She finally looked at him. "He's your soulmate?"

"Yes."

"Him."

Still with the weird emphasis. He'd believed she wasn't going to take it well. Why did she have to prove him right? "Yes, him."

Ferb raised a hand like he was going to offer it to her to shake before changing his mind and waving. "Hi."

"Phineas," Candace's eyes were wide as she glanced between them, "he's male. You said--"

"That's what you're freaking out about?" he cut in. His hands curled into fists. That's what the big deal was? That he didn't have some girl's name on his wrist? "News flash, Candace! I never said my soulmate was female. I never said what gender by soulmate was. You just assumed it! Like everyone else in my life assumes everything!" He knew his voice was raising, taking on a slightly hysterical edge. Some part of him was aware that people were falling silent around him.

Candace seemed to realize it too. "Maybe we should have this discussion somewhere else." She reached for him, he jerked back.

"No!" His heart was pounding in his ears. He hated that everyone was watching. But if he let her get him out of here, he might not be able to keep going. He needed to keep going. "No! I don't--I don't--Same sex soulmates are common! It's not weird or unusual or--or--"

"It's not that," Candace said, softly. "I just didn't know you were gay."

"I didn't even know I was gay! I still don't know that I'm gay!" No. He didn't mean to say that. Not here. Not in where Ferbs could hear him. Not-- He couldn't breathe.

"Oh, Phineas," her voice was gentle as she reached for him again. Her hand brushed his arm this time.

He stepped backwards, tripping over his own feet. He almost fell. Why did the floor have to be so slippery? The short, quick gasps of air weren't helping. He needed... He didn't know what he needed.

His sneakers slid on the floor as he ran.

"Phineas!"