To say the first part of the movie was uncomfortable, was an understatement. Neither of them dared to speak and kept their distance. And other than an occasional stolen glance, their eyes did not leave the big screen. Only when the lights went on as the sign of the intermission and they had a bathroom break, did Mirio finally found his voice again.
'So... ah... W-Would you like to get something to drink?'
Ichika only nodded, as she followed the taller boy through to crowd. Her eyes to the ground as she did so. An action that caused herself to scowl at herself once again. She was behaving more like Izuku than her regular self! Sure, she could be timid, but never like this! And now she couldn't even utter a simple reply. Damn it, she was messing everything up! Come on, say something. Anything!
'W-what do you think of the movie,' she finally forced herself to stutter as the two of them stood in line.
'Hm? I think it's...' Mirio was about to answer, when he noticed she was still standing behind him. 'Hey, what are you doing standing behind me, Ichika? You don't have x-ray eyes, so you can't see through these shoulders of mine.'
He smiled brightly at her, showing he was goofing around. Yet there was a tinge of nervousness behind it as he flexed his arms. Perfectly showing off those broad shoulders of his to prove his point. Even if it was meant as a playful jest. Then he reached his arm to pull her next to him.
'There,' he then said as he draped his arm over her shoulders. 'That's better, isn't it?'
Instantly, she nervous girl felt her cheeks heating up at their close proximity, her right arm now touching his left side as she stood next to him. Yet she did not pull away. While she did not know why he had been so distant before, she was glad now at least seemed to act like his usual self. Though she could still tell he was uncomfortable.
'Yes,' she told him quietly as they moved forward in line. 'I guess I can see what I want to order now.'
'Right?' He gave her his radiant closed eyed smile again, giving her that fluttering feeling in her stomach she had gotten used to. 'So, what do you want to order? A Sprite and sweet popcorn?'
'Y-Yeah,' she replied, shocked by his correct answer. 'How did you know?'
'Because I know everything,' he said with a teasing wink. 'You should know that by now.'
Ichika felt her cheeks darkening even more at this. While she was used to Mirio's occasional playful flirting, this was something different. He wasn't just playfully flirting with her, he was acting boastful. Something he had never done before. While not insecure about himself, he was never boastful. And was it just her, or had he pulled her closer just now?
No, of course not, you foolish girl. It just seemed like he did, because he took another step forward and pulled her along by doing so. Why would he pull her closer? It was just her mind playing tricks on her. Still, it didn't stop her from pretending that it was.
'Alright, who's next?'
'Yes, I'll have a Sprite,' Mirio began, before looking at Ichika for conformation. 'Medium, right?' She nodded. 'And a large Pepsi.'
The woman placed the ordered beverages on the bar.
'And I'll have a large box of sweet popcorn,' Mirio continued. 'Not that this cutie needs it. She's sweet enough.'
Mirio gave Ichika a bashful smile as he paid for his order, before walking back. It seemed Mirio had gotten back to his usual flirty attitude, which of course resulted in Ichika turning bright red. Yet it seemed Mirio was left blushing as well, for she noticed a soft pink colour dusting his cheeks and ears as she dared glance over at him. And even if she didn't dare get her hopes up, it did give her a warm feeling. He just looked so cute, with his flustered expression and soft smile.
'You know, it's actually quite refreshing going to a movie without Tamaki and Nejire,' Mirio spoke once they found their seats again.
'Why is that?'
'Because Nejire can be quite loud when she's getting into the movie, which usually results in Tamaki scowling at her.'
Ichika agreed with a nod. But before either one of of could open their mouth to say anything else, the lights dimmed and the movie continued.
With the tension between the two of them seemingly lessened, Ichika found herself being able to enjoy the movie more. Even if she dared glancing at Mirio every now and then, Ichika soon found herself gasp as the valiant knight fell down to the ground in defeat.
No! He couldn't be defeated, could he? No, of course not! He was the main character afterall. And they had this so called plot armour. Of course he wasn't defeated. He would get up by some miracle and defeat the evil wizard once and for all!
She was so fixated on the movie, that she didn't noticed Mirio shift in his seat and stretch his arms. But she did feel his hand brush against her shoulder as he did so while shifting closer towards her. The gesture immediately made her freeze in her place and heat rush to her cheeks.
'Oh, ah... Sorry.'
The moment Mirio noticed her tense up, he pulled away his arm and apologised. His own cheeks flustered as he watched the girl from the corner of his eyes.
'It-it's okay,' Ichika stammered as she turned to face him to give him a shy yet reassuring smile.
Though at the same time she wished for him to place his arm around her shoulder and pull her close to him. Yet she lacked the guts to say so. So instead the two of them remained as they were, while continuing watching the movie. Though with Ichika now painfully aware of how close the boy next to her now was in his seat. Why? Why had he moved closer to her in his seat? Did he just needed to sit differently and was this a more comfortable position? Was he getting bored? Not possible! He had wanted to see this movie since he heard of its making!
Her cheeks turned even more red as she thought of another possibility. That he actually wanted to sit closer to her! But she remained silent. Instead all she did was steal a glance every now and then.
A couple of minutes later though, Ichika got her answer as she felt Mirio move again. She could see him nervously lift up his arm, before slowly draping it over her shoulder. His blue eyes scanning her every move from the corner of his eyes, but when she made no indication of being uncomfortable with this position, he let out a silent sigh of relief.
'Where will I go?'
'North, as far as you can go.'
'What about you?'
'My love, you know I would have followed you if I could. But I have to remain here and fight.'
Ichika blushed as the onscreen lovers shared a kiss farewell, before the horse was send of, along with its rider. Wishful thoughts filled her mind as she thought about the handsome blond next to her. He was gallant, just like the valiant knight. And he had a strong sense of justice too. He would be the kind of person to make sure his loved ones would get to safety, while he fought off a villain. In medieval times he would have been an ideal knight. No, she corrected herself quickly. Mirio would have been a prince. Kind and caring, brave and handsome. And most of all, passionate.
Would he be as passionate about a relationship as he was with becoming a hero? Would his kisses be sweet and tender, of filled with emotion as the pair had done so in the movie?
She dared glance over to the said boy - or more precise, his lips. Her face flustered as she thought about what it would feel like to kiss him. But before she could look away, blue eyes found her green ones and held them. Shit! He had caught her staring at him! Look away, you stupid girl! Look way! You've done it before, so why can't you do so now?
But for some reason, Ichika didn't look away. Whether it was because she was too shocked to do so, or she suddenly had a bold moment, she did not know. But as Mirio turned his head to fully face her, Ichika did the same. She felt his arm pull her closer, while at the same time he leaned in as well. His shoulder was now touching hers, while his hand on her opposite shoulder now had a firm, yet gentle hold on her.
But the most surprising thing was that Ichika found herself leaning in too. She didn't know why, it wasn't a romantic moment, the romantic scene had passed too, yet still she felt a flutter in her stomach and a sudden surge of bravery. She had wanted to kiss him for quite some time now and this was the perfect moment, right? In the dark while watching a fantasy movie, with just a handful of other visitors. And he was giving off vibes that perhaps he might want to kiss her as well. She should just follow her gut and kiss him, that's what she should do. That's what Nejire would want her to do!
But... what if he didn't want to kiss her? What if he just wanted to whisper something in her ear quietly not to disturb the others. What if she was reading this all wrong and he didn't like her? Then she would make a fool out of herself and ruin their friendship. Was she really ready to risk their friendship?
No, of course not! Even without her romantic feelings for the tall boy did she enjoy his company. The way he always made her smile, the fooling around. Tickling her until she had tears in her eyes. And just sitting next to eachother while studying. She could not risk losing all of that, simply because she did not read his behaviour properly! As long as she didn't know for show whether or not he reciprocated her feelings, she could not make a move and that was final!
Her eyes suddenly widened in surprise as she felt something soft on her lips. While she was so busy arguing with herself, she had failed to notice Mirio had closed the gap between them.