Chapter 1 - Unlikely Allies

After helping the souls that were brought to him cross over, Cerin returns to shore of the river and steps off the ferry, allowing the paddle he carries to vanish into red smoke. He bites his lip while stepping into the river to fall through it, only to appear again in the world of the living, walking out of a rain puddle there.

"Chantico." He calls out to the girl in front of him. He tries to avoid hitting the butterflies that constantly surround her while he waves "Hi. Do you still have a lot of work?"

"After more than 200 years you should know that work never ends." Chantico groans, waving her arms around to stretch. The butterflies dodge her movements "I'm being overworked here. Can people stop dying for a day?"

Cerin smiles in sympathy, taking the mask that he wears off to reveal his face to her. The black cloak disappears as well, revealing a black hoodie and simple dark grey pants with black sneakers underneath. He adjusts the tattered red scarf around his neck, ignoring the gentle clinking of the copper chains that dangle from his wrists and hip.

He runs a few fingers through his black hair, trying to smooth it out a little, before directing his reddish-orange eyes, burning like flames, to the sky "It's probably gonna start raining again soon."

"Yup." Chantico agrees "You're lucky you don't get wet. I'm still soaked." She makes a face, gesturing at her drenched long black hair before she tugs on her blue-trimmed white dress that's worn with a sash with geometric patterns in blue, black and silver. When she squeezes the fabric, water droplets fall from it.

At least the roses and skull mask, one much more cheerful than his, she wears on the side of her head are still intact, as well as her light blue feather earrings. Her metal bracelets that have a design similiar to her sash wouldn't be too affected by the weather, but her sandals look very uncomfortable at the moment.

Then Cerin notices his friend's eyes are glowing, now bright silver instead of their usual blue with a hint of that silver. He figures his must be resembling fire by now as he takes in what Death has to tell them.

"An influx of souls?" Cerin questions, blinking away the glow in his eyes "Do you know who this 'Lantern' person is, Chantico?"

"Ugh, even more work! C'mon!" Chantico throws her hands in the air "Huh? Oh, Lantern. Right, I keep forgetting you're way younger than me." She chuckles "He used to be known as Stingy Jack. Made stupid decisions and because of the deals he made, he wasn't able or allowed to go to the afterlife." She shrugs "He's not very thrilled with our big boss, so he wrecked havoc on the living for a few years before the Guardians fought him and locked him up."

"And he's free now?" Cerin asks, eyes wide in disbelief "Isn't that, you know, dangerous?"

"I know, I know. The balance." Chantico sighs "But Death doesn't want us to get involved. You know that. We have to focus on our work, especially now that Lantern's running around again. The dead have to cross over."

"I know, but can't we at least do something?" Cerin takes a deep breath, tilting his head back a little "I don't have to work all day. Maybe I can do something at least?"

Chantico shrugs "Maybe." Then she grins "If you try to do something against Lantern, you'll at least be busy too and I won't have to be miserable that I got the worse job!"

"With all due respect, Chantico, you would sink the ferry."

"I would not!"

~*~

A breeze blows through the streets of a city bustling with life, tugging on autumn leaves and dragging them along. The gusts of wind gather on the rooftops around a young woman with very light ash blond hair that's held together by a pastel green ribbon and draped over her shoulder. The wind tugs on the long, wide sleeves, trimmed with pastel green that's decorated with golden runes, of her white shirt. Her green sash decorated with similiar golden runes and grey skirt also move along with the wind, as well as the pastel green ribbons tied around her ankles and wrists.