three

╮cheater, cheater╰

╮cheater, cheater╰

sloane stared at the wall opposite her as she stirred the styrofoam to-go box full of food sitting in front of her. she sighed as she snapped out of her daze and took the last bite of her food. she dropped the empty plastic container in the trash can as she reentered the back room of the closed store. she flipped the switch on the side of the skate sharpener upward and sat unsharpened skates on an empty cart until it was full as she waited for the machine slowly came on. she rolled the cart-full of skates toward the machine and sat a pair of dull skates on the counter next to her. she tucked the stray hairs of her ponytail behind her ears before beginning to sharpen the skates she'd sat on the cart.

after swiftly sharpening each skate and returning them to the cart, she rolled it toward the counter on the opposite side of the room. she pulled open the drawer full of laces, propped her hand on it, and leaned against it as she counted each pair of skates in the cart. she pulled out enough laces for every pair, sat them to the side, and blindly picked up a pair of skates.

as she laced the all of the skates, she contemplated the day's hockey practice until she was lost in her thoughts. her ears perked as the back door opened and after sitting the last pair of freshly laced skates in the cart, she looked over her shoulder. she turned back to the skates when she spotted hans pulling his thick coat off and hanging it on the coat rack by the door.

"i just finished sharpening and lacing all the skates that needed it," she mentioned as she sat the last pair of skates on the cart. "i'll go reopen the store," she added, slipping past him with a smile. after flipping on the 'open' sign and unlocking the door, she slipped into the backroom to change into her clothes for practice.

"i'll be back after practice," sloane told hans as she leaned over the front counter and watched him ready the cash register as she pulled her ponytail over her shoulder.

"have the afternoon off. enjoy your time with your friends," hans told her, smiling softly at the young girl before returning his gaze to the register.

"are you sure? i really don't care to come back," sloane said and pressed the palms of her hands against the side of the counter.

"i am sure. now run along before you are late," hans said as he jokingly waved her away.

"i'll see you tomorrow, hans, bright and early," sloane said and left the shop with her bag swinging at her side. she grunted quietly as she rounded the door of hans's shop and immediately ran into someone.