one

╮he can't be the coach╰

sloane anderson sat on the old wooden bench at the side of the frozen pond and tied her skates with a blank expression. she sat up and folded her hands over her thighs as she watched her teammates clumsily practice hockey. she pushed herself to her feet with a sigh as she shifted her pursed lips to one side. she pushed the loose ponytail holding back her dark, wavy over her shoulder and licked at her chapped lips. she grabbed her hockey stick after sliding her hockey gloves onto her hands. she picked up one of the old, paint-chipped hockey puck from the small crate by the bench and smiled as guy germaine and connie moreau skated toward her.

"want to run drills with me?" sloane asked and held up the hockey puck in her hand. she bent down to set it on the ice after they nodded and passed it to guy when she raised up.

"mom heard we've finally been assigned a new coach," connie said as she stopped the puck and passed it to sloane.

"wonder what he did to get the community service assignment," sloane commented and moved the puck from one side of her stick to the other. she passed it to guy with a sigh and pulled her loose ponytail back over her shoulder.

"petty theft or shoplifting probably," guy answered with a confident nod.

"we've already had those, guy," sloane said, looking over at the boy with her lips pressed together.

"well, there's only so many misdemeanors that warrant community service, sloane. we're bound to get the same one more than once," he answered with his arms dropped at his side.

sloane shrugged a shoulder in acceptance and hummed as she looked away from the boy. her ears perked and she turned around as charlie conway, lester averman, dave karp, and peter mark ran toward the frozen pond, breathing heavily. she, connie, and guy continued to pass the puck to each other until the four boys had their skates on and joined the scrimmage when the boys skated out.

sloane watched charlie skate toward terry hall to join him in shooting pucks at the team's goalie, greg goldberg. she hit her brakes to stop beside connie and grabbed her arm as she began to fall back. she regained her balance and stuck her hockey stick into the small group to pull out the puck. she pulled her stick back when the puck slid away and slowly began to skate after it. she looked over her shoulder and narrowed her eyes as a black limo slowly drove toward the ice.

"jesse," sloane said, hitting her brakes as she watched the limo stop at the edge of the pond. she looked over her shoulder to watch him skate over to her and she glanced around as her teammates gathered behind them. "what're we gonna do?" she asked and tilted her head toward the limo as it slowly inched its way onto the ice.