chapter twenty-four

Start from the beginning

She rolled away being able to escape and get up on her two feet. She wasn't given any time before barely dodging the other punch that came from Tim. Rosie sidestepped Tim's next move, grabbed his wrist and moved behind him. She used him as a shield before pushing him onto Adam bringing both down to the floor.

      "So, they just beat her up till she taps out?" Thomas asked Chuck who shook his head.

       "I haven't been here that long but from what I know that guy keeps training her almost everyday to prepare her." Chuck replied pointing at Vincent before going back to shaping the piece of wood in his hand. Thomas winced watching Rosie fall to the floor in pain holding her stomach. 

       "Prepare her for what?" The greenie asked

       The kid shrugged his shoulders, "for whatever's out there, Thomas. And it's not like she can't take it, Rosie's a lot stronger than you think. The times you think shes giving up she gets up. Again and again."

        Thomas raised his eyebrows in slight surprise not knowing much about the only girl in the glade who was able to defeat the two injured boys. "Impressed?" Rosie asked with a rag pressed on her shoulder to stop the bleeding. She walked towards the table he was at with a few of the boys specifically to a British boy who had remained quiet the entire time.

      Thomas nodded, "you're quite good."

       "Thanks." Rosie chuckled taking a glance at the boy who was in the midst of his own thoughts before noticing the girl reaching his proximity. "You alright?" Rosie asked looking down at him reaching for his chin.

      Newt felt the scrapes from her hand on his chin, "are you?" One of his hands slithered around the back of her leg holding onto it. He avoided her question trying to not drown her in his own intrusive thoughts.

       A smile lift her bruised lips, "of course."

        All of the boys sitting on that bench knew what the pair wanted to do. They all felt that tension the two carried for one another. But the pair didn't dare say anything, they just kept going the way they were going. Both knowing about each other's feelings for one another but hiding it.

       Newt admired the girl, even with her forming bruises and cuts. She was so beautiful, so captivating to his eyes. Rosie unknowingly had painted in his life with strokes that were insistent but soft and Newt found that his life was colorful with her by his side. It made him warmer than anything he'd known before. She was more stronger emotionally and maybe even physically and he was okay with that. He was in pure awe.

"Ready?" Rosie sat down at the edge preparing herself for what was to come. Clint was always ready with a little box of materials to stitch her up.

"No," she let out a laugh always hating this part of the training. It was this weird thing she had against needing to be stitch up or checked on. It made her feel fragile to the rest of the boys. She didn't want to be portrayed as a damsel in distress. She wanted to be able to handle things herself.

Clint grabbed the jar filled with moonshine. "It'll be quick, don't worry." He replied taking the rag off using a clean one to clean the entire spot. "This will make it burn a bit."

Clint handed Rosie the jar to take a sip before using it for something else. All the boys watched in silence fascinated by Clint's work and Rosie's unfortunate suffering. The drink ran down Rosie's shoulder burning inside the wound cleaning out any bacteria. Rosie bit her tongue from screaming the pain away and feeling the needle insert itself into her skin and closing it back together.