14

"So you're gonna stay?" 

"I don't have anywhere to go. I stopped streaming so I don't have enough money to find a new place. Plus I have to pay my tuition so money is kind of tight right now."

"Do you want to join Karl's Jackbox stream? You can stream it and everything. I know you're having a hard time streaming by yourself. Say yes."

"Alright, yes."

"Yay!" Dream pumped his fist into the air. 

It continued like that for the next few days. Dream would encourage or invite Shay to a stream, and she would have no choice to say yes. He hoped that by building up her confidence in streaming again, it would bring stability back into her life. And take her mind off of Sapnap and Rella.

Everything was going fine until she showed up.

"Hi! Is Nick home?"

Shay looked behind her, concerned. Had they been doxxed by fans? 

"Um, no one named Nick lives here."

"Oh," the visitor furrowed her eyebrows, "why did he send me this address then?"

"What's your name?"

"Rella," she smiled. "Nick left his sweatshirt and I texted him but he said he's out of town so I just brought it over." 

Shay's silent for a moment, unable to even process what's going on. Her eyes trail down to the sweatshirt neatly draped over Rella's forearm. Her breath catches in her throat as she recognizes it, the sweatshirt that she had bought for him on his 19th birthday. 

"I can just take it for you. I'll give it to him," Shay reaches out shakily, almost grabbing it.

"He said to leave it with someone named Clay? Is that you?"

"No, that's my friend, he lives here also."

"Oh! You guys are his roommates! It's so nice to meet you."

She nods curtly, her arms now resting by her side, fists balled so tightly that her knuckles were turning white. "I'll go get Clay." Shutting the door behind her, Shay takes a minute to take a deep breath, tears pooling in her eyes. There was no universe that she thought that his new girl would be showing up at the home they all shared together. And it was so unfair that she was incredibly nice and super gorgeous. Super gorgeous.

"Clay! Can you come to the door please?"

There's a thud upstairs before Dream appears in front of her, concerned.

"Are you okay? You called me Clay. What's going on?"

"See for yourself," she opens the door.

"Wha- Oh. Hi! How can I help you?"

"Hi! You're Clay right? Nick talks so much about you! I'm Rella, I work at the café with the coffee that you love."

"Oh! Rella!" He moves back to make side-eye with Shay, who was standing behind the door, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "What's up?"

"Nick left his sweatshirt and I was just giving it back since he said he's out of town. I didn't know he had two roommates!"

"Oh yeah, Shay just moved in recently. Sorry about her, she's shy with new people." Dream tugged her arm and pulled her into the door frame.

"Hey," she did her best to smile genuinely, not wanting to give away the fact that she was about to slam her head into the wall repeatedly. 

"Hi! Nice to meet you! I just needed to drop off the sweatshirt. I have to go but it was super cool meeting you guys!"

"Yep. You too. Bye."

Shay groaned as Dream locked the door behind them.

"That was... wow. Okay. Did not see that coming." 

"I hate my life."