Nineteen

"Shay, please be okay. Please. Just hold on, okay? Help is coming, just hold my hand."

"It hurts."

"I know, baby, I'm sorry just hold on." He held her hand through the broken car window like it was the last time he would ever get to touch her, to feel her presence in his arms. 

"Nick? Why are you here?" Shay groggily looked up at him as the blood from a cut on her forehead slowly trickled into her eye.

"I'm your emergency contact, your phone called me on impact. You've been in an accident, Shay," when he saw that she was starting to drift away, his vision became clouded with his own tears. "Just stay with me okay? You have to stay awake."

"You don't have to stay. You broke up with me, Nick. But if I, you know–," she choked out a sob, "something happens,"

"Don't say that, Shay, You're going to be okay, I promise. Please. I need to make sure you're okay."

"No, let me say it," she trembled, "I love you. I don't know when you stopped loving me, but I still love you. I love you with everything I have even if they're the last words I'll ever say. I love you, Nick."

"I love you too, I'm sorry." he cried, brushing the hair out of her face.

obvi our girl lived but the point of this dramatic little flashback is that despite Shay pushing him away, he'll always stay and make sure she's okay :D