I Only Sleep Next To You

(howdy howdy, Another fluffy angst. This is after the severance fixes itself, and some newer things happen.)
~~~~~~~~~

Nene couldn't sleep. She laid in her bed while staring at the ceiling, her mind rushing with the thoughts of the severance and losing the boy she liked a second time, it was nightmare after nightmare and she didn't want to keep reliving it- so she decided to give up sleep.

For most days she was sluggish and drained, and her focus wasn't the best, so much so that Aoi worried about her. The daikon girl was essentially a zombie, only responding to the call of her name half the time, this got most of her friends worried, even Mitsuba was worried.

Hanako was the most worried out of all of them, he couldn't tell what was wrong with his dear assistant, why was she not sleeping well? Did it have to do with him? He had a lot of questions.

"Yashiroooo~ you don't mind telling me what's wrong, right? If its something personal then I can wait until you are ready..."

The girl looked at the ghost boy, her eyes dull with dark circles under them, she had a long pause before hugging onto Hanako, she was tired enough to fall asleep- but she would hold back from doing so- she only wanted to hold the boy to make sure he was there.

The boy in question hugged back, sighing and deeming that it had to do with him, he rubbed the girl's back to soothe her, that is until he heard soft snores. He looked down at the girl, her hold on him was still there, but she had fallen asleep '....she must have been really exhausted, I'll take her to the infirmary with Tsuchigomori...'

[Time skip]

As Hanako placed Nene on the bed he sat on a chair next to it, he was racking his memories of what he did to make her react so desperately- almost smacking himself in the forehead for being so forgetful, the severance, sure he got slapped when they safely returned- but she was also happy when he was back, she was so distressed when he left that he didn't know how to react then- but he did want to soothe her.

The boy sighed, holding onto Nene's hand with his, making small circles on the top of her hand to soothe her more during her sleep, he knew he probably wasn't the best comfort due to how cold he was. Hanako looked at Nene's peacefully sleeping face, floating up a bit and gently setting himself on her, hugging Nene and listening to her heartbeat.

The ghost boy was focused on Nene's heartbeat and breathing, she was so peaceful in that moment, one wouldn't think that the girl was in insomnia's hands.

But in all honesty, Hanako didn't know what to do, for he was but a ghost, he couldn't physically help her in any means, he couldn't leave his placement at Kamome.

[Second Time Skip]

Nene awoke feeling refreshed, a small yawn crawling out of her mouth, she blinked a bit at the subtle light, it was the end of school already. The girl sat up, pausing at the sight of the boy on her chest, a soft smile breaking through the tired frown she had, he was still there, no more severance to keep them apart.

"Hanako-kun, are you awake? I need to get home..."

The ghost boy's hug tightened a bit, he was comfortable and warm for once, it was always cold until Nene became his assistant, it was always warm then.

"I don't wannaaaa! You are warm and comfy, Yashiro! Please don't go..."

Nene sighed, calmly lifting her hand and petting the boy's head after placing his hat to the side, he was still a boy, one who never got to grow up because of some cruel twist in fate. She looked out the window fondly, it wouldn't be that bad to sleep at the school, she just needed to borrow a nurse bed for the night.

"Hey... You wouldn't mind me sleeping in the bathroom right? I- I know it sounds weird but I cant really sleep well without waking up worried if you will be disappearing again... It still hurts to see it..."

Her words were pain filled,she had every right to ask him if she could stay there, even for the night, she would even promise to clean up earlier so they can spend more time chatting and taking down minor but rowdy apparitions-

The boy looked up at Nene, a small smile and chuckle echoing through his form, he could understand, nightmares arent pleasant- and he had many.

"Alright, but you cant sleep at school every day! At least go home, and if you think that you arent safe at home, the I can give you a protection charm!~ You wouldn't mind that, riiiight?~"

Yashiro tensed a bit, swiftly turning her head away from the boy's alluring gaze, she had told herself many times that he wasn't her type- but not even she could deny the fact that she did kinda miss the protection charm kisses, even if they are on her cheek.

"F-Fine, I know you also miss me when I'm not here, so I don't mind.... Hmph..."

It was that small pout that formed which made Hanako decide, he needed to protect the girl, but also make sure that he wouldn't be taken away either, it was a lot to focus on, but he could do it.

[Third Time Skip]

It has been 2 months, Nene was back in school and being her average self, but she was also cautious- considering she no longer had the prolonged life- she had to be careful, both in her surroundings and the apparitions. But that isn't all.

The boy and the assistant had traps set up, ones that protect both from problematic apparitions, Kou even has one- but that was set up by Mitsuba-

For all they know, nothing is going to go wrong- not now at the least- Nene didn't plan on dying yet- nor will she ever until she is ready.

And yet, the words Hanako heard when she woke up from that nap still rang in his ghostly head

"I'll only sleep next to you Hanako-kun, no matter what- you somehow cure my nightmares- so I promise- I'll promise to keep myself from dying just so you don't have nightmares."

He also made a promise that day, and he planned to keep it, it may not be much, but he would make it happen.

"Yashiro-san, no matter what, I will never let you have a nightmare filled  night until the day you die. Even if it's not a wish, I will make it true."

(Well then, that took a while to write, sorry bout that!)

(1147 words)