Chapter 7: The City

As we kept running, more like jogging, and getting closer and closer to home, I realized that even if there was anything left to go back to, with what we were we would either be killed or used as government weapons if we didn't stay in the wild. But I only wanted to find out if my family was ok, and I was sure the others felt that way too. I mean, me and my parents and my 12 year old brother had never really been close, but they were still my family, and I wanted to know if they were still alive, though I may be risking me and my packs freedom, or even there lifes.

We finally made it over the mountains, and could see a little city in the valley below, well, what remained of it. It seems that the lab we had been caged in was very important to the aliens that had invaded our planet, because for miles we could see a large path of ash for miles, probably from the trees they most likely burned with some kind of weapon. I wondered why that lab was so important, because it probably wasn't because of us, since they had barely payed any attention to us when they massacred all the scientists, they only attacked us when they saw us, probably because they saw us as a threat. I mean we are dinosaurs. But I didn't have any real information, so I stopped thinking about it.

As the thought left me, Tracy said something in me and the pack's mind, "There looks like there is some remnant of that city that hasn't been destroyed, why don't we go down and see if there are people left, or something we could use?"

Jonathan replied, "Were Utahraptors, were seven feet tall, and have three inch claws, what could we even use? And I doubt there are survivors of these alien's destruction. I mean, we almost didn't survive two of those aliens, how would a city with no army do any better against even more aliens?"

"But we should still go, and its right next to the path were taking to get out of South America. Besides, how would you feel if you were hiding in a building or somewhere else and there was no one around you?" Francine replied back.

"I agree with Francine, it won't hurt to go looking for something or someone down there, and there really isn't a risk to us if we go into the wreckage." I said, hoping I was right in doing this when there was still a chance some survivors could kill us if they had any sort of weapon.

It was settled, we were going to search for things in the half destroyed city. As we came closer to the entrance of the small city, our minds lit up with the smells of the ash and smoke, which the color of the smell was a translucent orange, completely overtaking all other smells. "Everyone, keep your eyesight open for any movement, since we can't smell anything but this smoke. We don't know if there is any people left who have a weapon, so we need to make sure no one is sneaking up on us to try to kill us."

"Good point.", Gregory replied.

As we entered into the city, me and some of the others saw a building labeled something in Spanish. Jonathan said, "Does anyone know what it means? I almost failed Spanish 1, so I have no idea what that sign says."

"I think it says electronics or something like that, but why did you want to know that in the first place?", Athena replied.

"Just curious." He replied back.

Then Gregory exclaimed with joy, "Wait! Wouldn't they have TVs in a place like that, and don't they usually keep them on display!"

"Guys, he is probably right! And if they are set to the news channel, we may find out what has happened to our homes and everywhere else around the world!", I said, excited that we could possibly find out what had happened. I went to the glass door, and the rest of the pack followed.

"Wait, how are we going to get the door open if its locked?" Tracy asked us.

"Lets hope its not locked in the first place." Jonathan replied.