And Miles to Go Before I Sleep

Start from the beginning

Data was fascinated by the piece. It was hand-painted on canvas. It was technically a map of most of the historical region of western Europe, but France was the highlight of the map.

"Do you ever sell any of your maps?" Data inquired.

The cartographer nodded.

"Sometimes," she shrugged. "Historians and enthusiasts will occasionally purchase or commission them."

"May I purchase this from you?" Data asked.

"Sure," she replied.

The cartographer explained she would fetch a storage tube and get it packed for him. In the meantime, he would need to see Oswalt to exchange his Federation credits for schillings.

"Would you consider adding one thing?" Data questioned.

"Sure!" she replied. "What did you have in mind?"

It took Data 1.12 seconds to identify the correction location on the map.

"Château Picard," he said as he tapped the spot near La Barre with his finger. "Right here."

----------

After a quick trip across to the postal office to exchange currency, Data returned to the library to pick up his map. He knew that it would be a fitting present for Captain Picard. The man had done so much for him – both as a friend and through the hearing. Data wanted to show his appreciation for all his efforts.

Once his business with the cartographer was complete, Data set out in search of Tasha.

Data had to stop himself from instinctively reaching for his combadge. Back home, they were used to merely hailing one another or the computer to determine the location of someone.

But here there was no such luxury.

And being inside a library also meant Data couldn't simply call out for her.

Upon entry, Tasha had made a beeline for the fictional books. But when Data searched that section, he found it was empty. Next, he tried the section on local history before moving on to nonfictional works.

But she wasn't there either.

He came up empty handed on the second level as well.

Data climbed the narrow iron staircase to the final level. There wasn't much up there. In fact, it looked as if this section of the library was rarely used. The third floor was deserted other than a few sparsely used bookshelves coated with a thick layer of dust.

Data glanced upwards toward the domed ceiling.

There was one last place he hadn't checked.

At the top of a small ladder that led to the dome, Data found her curled up in one of the alcoves, tucked away from the world in a high corner with her nose in a book.

Data was about to ask if she was ready to leave when he spied the title of the book.

He paused.

She peered over the edge of her book as he approached her.

"Data?" Tasha asked.

He blinked and refocused his attention.

"It will be dark soon," Data said.

Tasha's eyes narrowed.

"What's eating you?" Tasha questioned.

She could see there was something weighing on his mind.

Data shook his head, feigning ignorance.

Tasha frowned and set her book down.

"Nothing, are you ready to return to the farm?" Data asked.