Chapter 5

Lindsey

"Hey, the car will be out front to pick you up at 10:30, and he'll pick you up after your interview. You just have to text the number I sent you." Liam says as he gives me a big hug, "You're gonna rock this interview Lins, I just know it!" He plants a quick kiss on the top of my head and heads to practice.

Chase follows quickly behind him, "You got this, Lindsey! They're gonna love you!" He shoots me a wink and one of his oh-so-sexy smiles. Then, they're both out the door.

Not gonna lie; I'm swooning a little. He's just so hot! Things have been relatively less cringy between us the last couple of days. I feel less awkward and embarrassed around Chase now that I've started to settle in. I think I'm getting better at hiding my ogling; at least, I hope I am. And I have gaped and blushed far less than I did on day one. So, that's a win, I think!

It's still hard to tell if he's just being nice, if he thinks I'm mental, or if he is genuinely interested in getting to know me. Part of me thinks he is only being nice because I'm Liam's little sister, but another part of me is somewhat delusional and thinks maybe he is interested in me. 

I mean, he keeps looking at me and smiling at me. That has to mean something, right? I'm probably mental. He's a freaking star hockey player, for goodness' sake! No way he'd be interested in me.

I know what the media says about him. I've spent some of my free time stalking his social media and tabloid posts. So, yeah, I know what people think. I know what his reputation is, but he doesn't seem like that guy. I mean, I've talked to him. He's friendly and normal, and he hasn't brought any girls home since I've been here. Maybe the stories are wrong?

I don't even know why I'm going down that road. I couldn't possibly date a guy like Chase. He's probably got far better prospects lined up around the block. Models, actresses, socialites. So not me. I could never live up to his expectations. I'm too timid, too broken. There's no way he'd go for someone like me.

I shake myself out of my depressing thoughts and finish getting ready. Time to focus! In about one hour, I have an interview to dominate. Hopefully, this will win number one of many as I build my new life here in New York. "You got this! You are gonna make this interview your bitch! They will love you!" I tell my reflection in the mirror. And for the first time in a long time, I believe the pep talk I've given myself. A genuine smile spreads across my face.

Yeah, I've got this.

Everything will be okay. Half an hour later, I grab a quick cup of coffee with sugar-free hazelnut creamer and head out the door.

......

The driver Liam set me up with drops me off in front of the building and lets me know he'll be in the parking garage across the street and will pull back around when I'm ready to go. I take a deep breath and walk through the doors of the accounting firm. As the receptionist directs me where to go, I give myself a last-minute pep talk.

"Lindsey?" A woman dressed in an all-black pants suit calls me into the interview.

I stand up and follow her inside the room. It's showtime!

One hour and several signatures later, I became the newest accounting assistant at the firm. They absolutely loved me! I blew them away in the interview, and they offered me the position on the spot! Full-time, paid benefits, generous PTO, and various other company perks. This day could not possibly get any better.

......

The guys are still at practice by the time I get back to the apartment. So, I decided to head to the market down the street to grab some things to make a bangin dinner to celebrate my good news. I shoot Liam a text consisting only of thumbs up and smiley face emojis. I'm sure he'll understand the message. 

At the market, I pick up everything I need to make Caprese Chicken with vegetables. My face hurts from smiling for so long. I don't remember the last time I felt this happy. My dream is finally coming true.

I take my goods back to the apartment and get dinner started. When the boys rush in from practice, they take turns picking me up into giant hugs and shouting their congratulations. Liam makes it to me first and spins me around while crying, "I knew you would knock their socks off!"

I can't help but laugh as Chase pulls me into a big bear hug after Liam sets me free, "They couldn't resist! Let's celebrate. Let us take you out!"

The timer dings in the kitchen, and I tell them I've already made dinner, "But we can go for drinks or something after we eat if you two want to."

The smells coming from the kitchen attract both men to the oven. As I pull the pans out and set them on the stove, Liam asks, "Is that Chicken Caprese? Mmmm. That smells amazing! Yeah, let's eat this, and then we can go to the bar for a bit." He practically drools while staring at the food.

Chase rubs his stomach and nods, "Yeah, she can meet some of the guys then." He inhales deeply. "Lindsey, this smells incredible!"

Liam informs him, "It's one of mom's recipes. So, good!" He tries to steal a bite from the pan, and I swat his hand away. He pulls his hand back, rubbing it like I've caused irreparable damage, and I ask him nicely to set the table.

We eat and chat about how the day went. I tell them all about the firm I'll be working for and the details of my employment. They listen intently as I tell them how great the interview was and how excited I am to start working. They voice their approval of not only my triumph on the job front but also of the dinner that they've just annihilated. There is nothing left in the pan. I'm still amazed at how much these guys can put away.

......

After dinner, we all head to the bar to meet up with some of the other guys from the team and have a few victory rounds for my new employment status. Upon entering the bar, I hear loud voices and laughter coming from a few tables near the back wall. Seated around those tables are about a dozen of the hottest, most jacked men I've ever seen. Sprinkled around them are a few good-looking women dressed in skimpy outfits flirting and batting their eyelashes at them. This must be the team.

I feel my heart rate pick up. Oh shit, now is not the time to panic! Trying to control my breathing as we approach one of the tables, I remind myself that I can do this. I'll just be meeting a few new people. They aren't out to get me; they haven't done anything to screw me over. They're just guys, nothing to worry about. And the women? Well, I'm sure they're friendly, right? I gulp as I realize we're just one step away from the table.

I can do this.

I glance at Liam. He pulls me close and tucks me protectively under his arm. Then I look over at Chase. He gives me an encouraging smile.

Yeah, I can do this.