Chapter 3

Lindsey

Mom and dad left a while ago. They wanted to get back home before it got too late since they both have to work in the morning. I was sad to see them go but excited to start this journey. More so, I was nervous because until I get a job and my own apartment, I will be sharing space with my brother and his roomies. 

One of which looks like a freaking Greek God. A Greek God who gave me a very awkward handshake when we met outside. A Greek God who keeps looking my way. Crap, do I have something stuck in my teeth? I discreetly check my teeth with my phone's camera. Okay, nothing in my teeth.

I wonder if it's because he caught me ogling him when I first arrived. Shit! That's probably it. Great first impression, Lins! Now your brother's hot roommate thinks you're a freak! I sneak a peek at Chase. He was staring at me, but when I looked at him, he quickly averted his eyes. Wait! Is he smiling? Maybe he doesn't think I'm a freak?

Liam's voice cuts through my musing as he picks me up into one of his signature big bear hugs, "I'm so glad you're finally here! Come on; we'll give you the tour." He sets me down and ushers me around the apartment, showing me first the living area, then the kitchen and dining room, then his room where I'll be staying until I find my own place. 

While I'm staying in his room, he will sleep on an air mattress in Chase's room. I tried multiple times to convince him to let me stay on the couch, so he doesn't have to vacate his room, but being the sweetheart that he is, he would hear none of it. He insisted that the couch was not good enough for his baby sister and that Chase didn't mind sharing his room.

Chase decides to step in, clapping Liam on the shoulder, "I don't mind at all, buddy, but if you snore, I may have to smother you with a pillow."

Liam replies with a shove, "I don't snore!"

They wrestle around a bit, arguing about the validity of Liam's statement. I watch, trying to control my laughter. Chase currently has Liam in a chokehold and looks my way, "He totally snores," he says as he gives me a little wink.

I swear when he does that, my heart stops for a minute. How in the world does he do that? One wink, and I'm turning to mush. I don't think I could formulate a complete sentence right now if I tried. The guys finally compose themselves and finish up the tour. Liam informs me that there is a jack and jill bathroom attached to his that I'll share with their other roommate, Taylor.

I realize I haven't seen their other roommate yet. So, I ask, "Will Taylor be back soon?"

Chase replies, "No, Taylor's out of town for the week visiting family."

Liam adds, "Yeah, you'll get to meet this weekend sometime when Taylor gets back. The two of you will get along great!"

After we chat for a while, I excuse myself to go through some of my boxes and pull out my essentials. I place my toiletries in the bathroom and marvel at how clean it is, considering two men are sharing the space. I wonder if they use a cleaning service. 

I shrug to myself and go back to the bedroom to unpack some of my clothes. Liam is the best! He cleared out a section of his closet so I could put my stuff in there. I make a mental note to do something nice for him and the other guys once I get a job and start making a paycheck again.

It's almost dinner time by the time I've finished, and my stomach is growling. As if on cue, Chase and Liam pop in and ask if I want to go out to dinner and celebrate my big move to the city. I tell them that I would prefer a quiet night in.

Liam asks, "What kind of food are you in the mood for? We can have pretty much anything delivered."

I tell him, "Whatever you guys want. Surprise me, but I'm buying! It's the least I can do for what you guys are doing for me here."

Liam sends me a glare, and I have a feeling he isn't going to let me pay. I'm right. He doesn't let me pay for dinner and reasons that I am their guest and guests don't pay for anything under their roof.

Chase is no help; he adds that "A gentleman never makes a lady pay." He then disarms me with a lopsided smile that makes me forget my own name. How the hell does he do that?

After staring at him dumbfounded for a solid two minutes, I finally find my voice, "Fine. Then I insist on cooking dinner for you the rest of my stay here. Homemade meals full of love." I finish my speech with a sweet smile.

Liam smiles at me and agrees. Chase looks at me with a soft but strange look on his face. It's almost like he's trying to fight some internal battle. I don't know what to make of it, but looking at him sends my stomach into a frenzy and turns my mind to rubber. I've never felt this way before, not even with Lucas. Before I can dissect what is going on inside me, the food arrives, and we all sit down to eat.

They've ordered a massive spread from a Thai restaurant. Complete with crispy spring rolls, steamed dumplings, two kinds of soup, an order of chicken Pad Thai, and three different kinds of chicken curry. The food fills the dining table, and I am stunned at the amount they ordered for just the three of us. There is no way we'll be able to eat all of this.

As we eat, Liam asks about my upcoming job interview and if I need anything to prepare for it. He tells me he will arrange a car service for me to get to and from the interview so I won't get lost since he won't be able to escort me. I try to object since it's only ten blocks from his apartment, but he doesn't relent because he is the protective big brother he is. So, I finally agreed to let him arrange a car service for me that day. 

Did I mention that he is the best?

I finished up my plate of food, consisting of a spring roll, one small scoop of Pad Thai, and one small scoop of two of the curries. I am now pleasantly full. By the time the guys are done, there is only a tiny portion of one curry left. It's incredible how much these two can put away! I remind myself to make sure there are plenty of groceries since I'll be cooking for three of them plus myself soon. We clean up after dinner and decide to call it a night.

As I'm lying in bed, I reflect on the last twenty-four hours. I realize that I have thought less about Lucas and Nadia today than I have in a very long time. I have also smiled and laughed more today than I have in all the days of the past two years combined. 

Maybe following my dreams is exactly the medicine I needed to bring myself back to normal. The past few months, I've started to come back out of my shell a little, but I had no idea that interacting with someone new who looks like Chase would be so easy.

Except for the few strange physiological side effects that came with interacting with him, it was easy to be around him. I expected meeting Liam's friends would be incredibly difficult and awkward since I had resigned myself to being a quiet loner for the last two years. 

It's truly amazing how easy it was to be myself around Chase. Maybe it's because Liam was there acting as an unintentional social buffer. Maybe it's because Chase is just that easy-going. Either way, I'm so glad to be here. And I am so excited for what the rest of this journey will bring.