Grieving

Walking around the forest in the middle of the night is terrifying for Y/n. There are bugs that are screeching, small animals hopping behind bushes and making them rustle. For the tenth time, she stops herself from flinching and jumping.

Jungkook is right next to her, bless this man. He didn't move away from her side for even a second, it's like he knew she was scared to her wits the moment she cower to his side to walk closer to him.

His steps are light and small to make sure she is keeping up with him. The wind got cold the very moment black spread the sky. Even though it is in the middle of summer, the cold that surrounds the forest at nights is pleasing to the skin.

Jungkook is looking around, searching for a safe place he told her they will be hiding and resting for the night. He knows she is tired. Her wobbly steps gives her away. They were supposed to leave in the morning together with Mr. Min so they woke up early, but who knew things will turn out like this.

With just two of them now left and wondering around a forest bigger than both of them.

In the cold quite night, a sudden sound of wings flapping comes from the right and Y/n couldn't hold in the jump it bought to her withering heart. She flinch, back bumping into Jungkook's arm when she take a step back.

She whip around the moment she feels his skin brush against her back, both separated from a thin silk of her knee length frock.

Jungkook is alert the second he feels her jump and start searching the source of her sudden distress. He is looking up at the intimidating trees while she is looking up at him with wide doe eyes.

His body relax after a few seconds of inquiry. "It's just an owl." He whispers, wanting to calm her down.

Y/n looks away when he finally directs his eyes down at her. He finds her fidgeting figure, soft eyes terrified as they look around. She resembles nothing but an innocent lamb looking for the warmth of her mother.

"You can hold onto me." He mumbles, staring down the top of her soft hair.

Her head tilt up at him, gaze meeting his. She gulps.

He is so big.

He can literally swollow her whole if he wants to.

Shaky hand reaching out, she grab ahold of his shirt with her fingers like she did a few hours ago when they left the hut to look for her father and takes a step closer to his oddly warm body.

They only start walking again when Jungkook is sure that she has clam down. She is half cowering behind him and Jungkook takes a peek behind them every once in a while.

The forest is indeed huge and the only good thing about it is that there are many abandoned huts and hidden places. He was almost relieved when he first started wandering the forest back when he left for hunting.

Mr. Min was also at ease. Cause this way, they can hide and look for a way to escape together. There is a place not far away from where they currently are, Jungkook happened to stumble upon it a month ago.

That was then decided to be there first hide spot after they abandon the hut.

There are more hide outs like this, but the main goal Jungkook has set in his mind is the small lake Mr. Min always mentioned he found one day when he went out of his way with his hunting.

The older man always directed Jungkook to that place, wanting him to check it out himself too. Though Jungkook didn't really have a chance to find it, he did hear Mr. Min talk about the safety of that place.

It was hidden away in between two big rocks, a lake with glittering water and a small land with many sweet fruits. Mr. Min wanted them to officially hide there till they figure out a way to the south.

It was safe and don't seem to be discovered by the north soldiers yet.

--

"Hungry?" Jungkook questions, setting the bags down.

Y/n shakes her head, looking around the small area they decided to spend the night at. It looks well hidden so that will ease her nerves a bit.

Sitting on the ground, Jungkook sighs. He twist his head and then back, cracking the tension from his neck and spine.

Looking at his relaxed figure, Y/n forces herself to calm down and slowly walk towards the tree a few feets away from the one he is leaning on. She takes a seat on the ground, shy figure curling into a ball by hugging her knees close to her chest.

Jungkook watch from his place as she rests her head on her knees after taking off her shoes. He wants to tell her to come a little closer to him so that he can watch over her properly. But he knows himself that both of them are too numb and tired to make an effort.

Today was a tiring day. Forced to abandon their hut and leave benind the man who kept them both under his protective wings. Mr. Min left too soon. The man who always craved for freedom didn't even get to smell the fresh air of South.

Y/n glance at the man. He is resting his back on the tree, running a rough hand through his hair to calm the fluff down. Looking at him closely, she can tell there is not much strength left in him for today. Even though he is trying not to show it, but she saw the way he carried her father back, respectively graved him, all the while on alert for her safety.

There is no doubt he is hungry.

She quietly clears her throat. "A-Are you?"

"Hmm?" Jungkook turn to her, surprise evidence from his doe eyes.

She bites her lips, looking down at her feet. "Are you hungry, I mean..?"

Jungkook stare at her for a while before a small smile lift his lips. It's crazy how just a small act lit up his eyes into a whole galaxy. He shakes his head. "I'm not."

"Oh.." Cheeks flushing, she return her gaze to her feet.

A small silence fall over them. Jungkook start to look inside the bag while Y/n tries her best not to drown in guilt. It's clear that this man is neglecting his own needs for her comfort.

"Here." He says, standing up and passing her a folded blanket. "It will get colder."

She can only thank him at this point and continue to peek at him when he goes back to his place. She only folds the blanket over herself when she makes sure that he is also covering himself, not wanting to leave him to the cold. Thank everything good above that they remembered to pack a few more blankets.

That's when the restlessness sets in.

Both are unable to close their eyes, as if still in disbelief at what happened. Emotions comes tumbling down on them and while Jungkook holds on with silent grieving, he has to hear Y/n's little sobs all night.

The woman tries her best to keep her voice down, to not alert him, or wake him as she thought he is sleeping. His heart breaks for her, her whimpers too painful for him. Yet, he can't do anything to comfort her.

She only stops when the sky gets a little lighter and she grows tired enough to doze off. Only then, he rests his eyes. But he doesn't sleep.

His mind is wondering tenfolds. Trying to figure out the day ahead and how to survive this heavy jungle filled with wild animals and worse, wild inventions that scare him to his guts.

---------------

Happy tuna ya'll 💜